SANTA BARBARA -- In the second meeting of the season between No. 31 BYU and UC Santa Barbara, the Gauchos avenged their earlier loss with a 4-3 upset in California Friday.
The Cougars’ doubles pair of Cassidy Mears and Spencer Smith fell 8-3 at the No. 2 position. Juniors Evan Urbina and Daniel Hwang notched a win on court three at 8-5. At the No. 1 spot, Georgy Batrakov and Thomas Shubert fought hard but dropped a 9-7 decision to give the Gauchos the first point of the day.
BYU and UCSB split the singles matches with each team recording three wins. Urbina, and Smith earned straight-set victories for the Cougars on courts two and five, respectively. Batrakov overcame Matthieu Forget in a three-set battle for the third BYU win. The Gauchos took the remaining matches in straight sets to slip past the Cougars 4-3.
Saturday, the team will try to bounce back against Loyola Marymount. First serve is set for 9:30 a.m. PT at the LMU Tennis Center in Los Angeles. Live stats will be available for the match against Loyola Marymount. To follow along, click here.
No. 31 BYU-3
1. Scott Hohenstein/Evan Jurgensen (UCSB) def. Shubert/Batrakov 9-7
2. Lucas Sudow/Benjamin Recknagel (UCSB) def. Mears/Smith 8-3
3. Urbina/Hwang def. Chavez-Goggin/Caledonia (UCSB) 8-5
1. P. Therp (UCSB) def. T. Shubert (BYU) 6-2, 6-2
2. E. Urbina (BYU) def. L. Sudow (UCSB) 6-3, 6-4
3. B. Recknagel (UCSB) def. C. Mears (BYU) 7-5, 6-2
4. G. Batrakov (BYU) def. M. Forget (UCSB) 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
5. S. Smith (BYU) def. T. Chavez-Goggin (UCSB) 6-2, 6-2
6. M. Glenn (UCSB) def. M. Eraso (BYU) 6-1, 6-4
BYU men's tennis graduate senior Sean Hill fell to Finn Reynolds of Ole Miss 3-6, 3-6, at the USTA National Campus on…
BYU men's tennis graduate senior Sean Hill, who was originally listed as the No. 2 alternate, will compete in the NCAA…
Three Cougars were named to All-WCC men's tennis teams, the West Coast Conference announced Thursday. Sean Hill earned…
BYU men's tennis sophomore Jack Barnett and senior Ben Gajardo were named the West Coast Conference Doubles Team of the…