ALBUQUERQUE -- Solid play by the upperclassmen pushed the No. 32 BYU men’s tennis team past defending Mountain West Champion New Mexico Saturday. The Cougars secured a 5-2 win to improve to 2-0 in the conference and 17-4 overall.
Three juniors and lone senior Cassidy Mears lead the team, accounting for all of BYU’s points in the victory over the Lobos. UNM notched the first doubles victory of the contest, an 8-2 decision on court two. Daniel Hwang and Evan Urbina recorded the first pairs win of the day for the Cougars at 8-5. And Mears partnered with Thomas Shubert at the No. 1 position to defeat their Lobo opponents and capture the doubles point.
Mears continued his impressive run with a 6-0, 6-1 victory on court four to put BYU up 2-0. Shubert’s three-set win meant the Cougars needed only one more victory to earn their second conference win of the week. Spencer Smith won his first set at 7-5 but ultimately fell to New Mexico’s Conor Berg for the Lobos’ first point of the match.
Hwang, one of three BYU players to keep his match to two sets, clinched the victory, defeating Joe Wood 7-6, 7-6. UNM kept fighting, tallying another three-set win at the No. 3 spot. Urbina closed the match in dramatic fashion, winning a third-set tiebreak to end the weekend with a 5-2 victory.
The Cougars will stay on the road next week, playing Southern Methodist Friday and conference opponent TCU Saturday.
No. 32 BYU-5
1. Cassidy Mears/Thomas Shubert (BYU) def. Phil Anderson/Jadon Phillips (NM) 8-5
2. Conor Berg/Ben Dunbar (NM) def. Georgy Batrakov/Spencer Smith (BYU) 8-2
3. Daniel Hwang/Evan Urbina (BYU) def. Joe Wood/Carl Ho (NM) 8-5
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
1. Thomas Shubert (BYU) def. Ben Dunbar (NM) 6-3, 6-4
2. Evan Urbina (BYU) def. Carl Ho (NM) 6-7, 7-5, 7-6
3. Jadon Phillips (NM) def. Georgy Batrakov (BYU) 2-6, 7-6, 6-2
4. Cassidy Mears (BYU) def. Phil Anderson (NM) 6-0, 6-1
5. Conor Berg (NM) def. Spencer Smith (BYU) 5-7, 6-2, 6-3
6. Daniel Hwang (BYU) def. Joe Wood (NM) 7-6, 7-6
Order of Finish: 4, 1, 5, 6, 3, 2
BYU men's tennis graduate senior Sean Hill fell to Finn Reynolds of Ole Miss 3-6, 3-6, at the USTA National Campus on…
BYU men's tennis graduate senior Sean Hill, who was originally listed as the No. 2 alternate, will compete in the NCAA…
Three Cougars were named to All-WCC men's tennis teams, the West Coast Conference announced Thursday. Sean Hill earned…
BYU men's tennis sophomore Jack Barnett and senior Ben Gajardo were named the West Coast Conference Doubles Team of the…