Netters Sweep Wolf Pack
PROVO -- Adding another clean sweep to its record, the No. 56 BYU men’s tennis team took down the Nevada Wolf Pack 7-0 Friday to stay undefeated at home.
“We came out and played a much better match than I expected,” BYU head coach Brad Pearce said. “Once we got the doubles point, everyone was loose and really played great tennis. There wasn’t a single match I was worried about.”
The Cougars (5-4) hit hard with back-to-back doubles victories led by freshman Patrick Kawka and team captain Evan Urbina, who crushed Wessim Derbel and Qeuntin Mege with an 8-3 win on Court 1. Georgy Batrakov and Thomas Shubert followed close behind with an 8-5 win against Kristian Kuharszky and Victor Ouvrard on Court 2.
Singles play proved a success for BYU, each Cougar taking his match in straight sets. Michael Eraso took the first singles point for the Cougars, defeating Kyle Walker 6-2, 6-1. Roman Warias finished second on Court 4, beating Mege 6-1, 6-2. Securing victory for BYU, Batrakov pulled off a 6-1, 6-1 win against Ouvrard on Court 2 for a 4-0 Cougar lead.
Kawka came in with a win on Court 3 against Kuharszky 6-2, 6-4. Urbina continued to dominate on Court 1, increasing his Court 1 record to 6-0 by winning his match against Derbel 6-3, 6-4.
The Cougars will make another home appearance Friday against No. 48 Denver at 5:30 p.m.
No. 56 BYU vs. Nevada
1. Kawka/Urbina (BYU) def. Derbel/Mege (UNR) 8-3
2. Batrakov/Shubert (BYU) def. Kuharszky/Ouvrard (UNR) 8-5
3. Loong/Warias (BYU) default UNR
Order of finish: 1,2
1. Evan Urbina (BYU) def. Wessim Derbel (UNR) 6-3, 6-4
2. Georgy Batrakov (BYU) def. Victor Ouvrard (UNR) 6-1, 6-1
3. Patrick Kawka (BYU) def. Kristian Kuharszky (UNR) 6-2, 6-4
4. Roman Warias (BYU) def. Quentin Mege (UNR) 6-1, 6-2
5. Michael Eraso (BYU) def. Kyle Walker (UNR) 6-2, 6-1
6. Thomas Shubert (BYU) default UNR
Order of finish: 5, 4, 2, 3, 1