PROVO, Utah – The No. 52 BYU men’s tennis team routed the Nevada Wolfpack, 7-0, Friday at the BYU Indoor Tennis Courts.
"To have our guys come back two days after a big rival match and play as well as they did, I was very proud," BYU coach Brad Pearce said. "I was impressed with how Georgy [Batrakov] performed, along with the rest of our guys. It was a great effort on their part and I'm really proud of them."
To watch video click here
In doubles, senior Georgy Batrakov and sophomore Patrick Kawka took a quick 7-1 lead over Wessim Derbel and Fernando Sunaqo on Court 1. With BYU serving for the match, Kawka dished out an ace for an 8-1 victory.
One point later, senior Spencer Smith and freshman Francis Sargeant wrapped up their match on Court 2 against Quentin Meqe and Victor Ouvrard. After a 5-4 score, the Cougars took three games in a row to finish 8-4.
Two days after defeating rival Utah, the Cougars (5-5) did not drop a single set to the Wolfpack (3-4) in singles.
Playing at the No. 3 position, Smith was the first off the courts for the Cougars in singles, topping his opponent 6-2, 6-4.
Only needing one game to secure a Court 4 win, Cullimore battled through back-and-forth advantages to take the match against Jordan Rozenfeld, 6-2, 6-4.
Playing at the No. 1 position, No. 50 Batrakov held serve to get to 3-3 in the second set. The Russian netter broke away and won the next six games to top No. 80 Derbel, 6-4, 6-3, and clinch the BYU win.
Kawka’s 6-0, 7-6(2) victory over Meqe on Court 4 gave the Cougars their fifth point of the night.
Sargeant and Eraso won their respective matches on Court 5 and 6 to wrap up the sweep.
The Cougars next travel to Colorado to take on Air Force on Feb. 24 and Denver on Feb. 25.
No. 52 BYU – 7
Nevada – 0
1. No. 50 Georgy Batrakov (BYU) def. No. 80 Wessim Derbel (NEV), 6-4, 6-3
2. Patrick Kawka (BYU) def. Victor Ouvrard (NEV), 6-0, 7-6(2)
3. Spencer Smith (BYU) def. Moez Charqui (NEV), 6-2, 6-4
4. Keaton Cullimore (BYU) def. Jordan Rozenfeld (NEV), 6-2, 6-4
5. Francis Sargeant (BYU) vs. Quentin Meqe (NEV), 6-4, 6-2
6. Michael Eraso (BYU) def. Fernando Sunaqo (NEV), 6-2, 6-2
1. G. Batrakov/P. Kawka (BYU) def. W. Derbel/F. Sunaqo (NEV), 8-1
2. F. Sargeant/S. Smith (BYU) def. Q. Meqe/V. Ouvrard (NEV), 8-4
3. K. Cullimore/M. Eraso (BYU) def. N. Reix/M. Charqui (NEV), 8-5
BYU (5-5); national ranking #52
Order of finish: Doubles (1, 3, 2), Singles (3, 4, 1, 2, 6, 5)
BYU men's tennis had nine members named to the WCC Commissioner's Honor Roll, with Alex Lin and Vinicius Feijao…
The BYU men’s tennis team finished the 2020-21 season with a 14-6 record, going 7-1 in West Coast Conference play for a…
Sean Hill, Ben Gajardo, Sam Tullis and Matheus Ferreira Leite were recognized for their success both in the classroom…