Cougars continue momentum in New Mexico
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico – The No. 40 BYU men’s tennis team extended its win streak to six matches with a 5-2 win over University of Pacific Friday.
"Today we did what we had to do to win," BYU coach Brad Pearce said. "I thought it was a good preparation match for New Mexico tomorrow. I feel with the conditions here, it's valuable to have a match against good competition and I think we'll be ready for New Mexico tomorrow."
The Cougars (9-5) swept the Tigers (4-6) in doubles. Senior Georgy Batrakov and sophomore Patrick Kawka took an 8-3 decision over their Court 1 opponents, Alex Goulding and Ivan Castro. Playing at the No. 2 doubles position for BYU, senior Spencer Smith and freshman Francis Sargeant topped their opponent 8-2. Freshman Keaton Cullimore and senior Michael Eraso closed out the doubles compeition, taking their match 8-4.
BYU carried its momentum into singles, earning wins on courts 5 and 1. Sargeant won his sixth straight match with a 6-2, 6-1 win over Alex Hamilton. No. 54 Batrakov also held his opponent to winning only three games, topping Tomas Krzyzkowski, 6-3, 6-0.
For the second week in a row, Eraso secured BYU’s match win. The senior topped his Court 6 opponent, 6-4, 6-1, to give the Cougars their fourth point.
Despite the loss, the Tigers went on to win on courts 3 and 4 before Kawka wrapped up the match. Playing at the No. 2 position, Kawka fought back after dropping the first set to not allow a single game in the second set. Kawka and Castrao rallied back and forth in the third before Kawka took the tiebreaker, and the match, 4-6, 6-0, 7-6.
BYU takes on regional opponent New Mexico Saturday at noon at the Linda Estes Tennis Complex.
No. 40 BYU – 5
University of Pacific – 2
1. Batrakov/Kawka (BYU) def. Golding/Castro (Pacific) 8-3
2. Smith/Sargeant (BYU) def. Krzyszkowski/Mirkin (Pacific) 8-2
3. Cullimore/Eraso (BYU) def. Hamilton/Goncalves Jr. (Pacific) 8-4
1. No. 54 Georgy Batrakov (BYU) def. Tomas Krzyzkowski (Pacific) 6-3, 6-0
2. Patrick Kawka def. Ivan Castro (Pacific) 4-6, 6-0, 7-6
3. Ben Mirkin (Pacific) def. Spencer Smith (BYU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Alex Golding (Pacific) def. Keaton Cullimore (BYU) 7-6, 7-6
5. Francis Sargeant (BYU) def. Alex Hamilton (Pacific) 6-2, 6-1
6. Michael Eraso (BYU) vs. Valentim Goncalves Jr. (Pacific) 6-4, 6-1
Order of finish: 5, 1, 6, 3, 4, 2
BYU men’s tennis opened the 2023 season with a 6-1 home victory over Idaho State Friday.