BYU travels to San Diego this week to play five games
PROVO, Utah – After a 2-3 turnout last week, BYU softball looks to have a strong outing at the San Diego Classic I this week, playing five teams from March 2-4.
The Cougars (7-5, 0-0 WCC) will face McNeese State and San Diego State on Thursday at 1 p.m. and 6 p.m. PST, respectively. BYU plays another doubleheader on Friday against Miami (Ohio) and Detroit Mercy starting at 1 p.m. PST. The final game of the tournament for the Cougars will be against Boston University on Saturday at 1 p.m. PST.
- At the Mary Nutter Collegiate Classic last week, BYU played three ranked teams. The Cougars shutout No. 11/12 Georgia 4-0 and lost to No. 9 Arizona and No. 18 Texas A&M. They also beat Louisville and dropped a game to LIU Brooklyn.
- In the tournament hosted by both San Diego State and the University of San Diego, BYU will play two teams it has never faced before: Detroit Mercy and Boston University. The Cougars will play the host team SDSU, a matchup the Cougars lost last year, along with McNeese State and Miami (Ohio).
- After being ranked No. 25 and No. 23 in the second and third weeks of the season, BYU dropped out of the USA Today/NFCA Coaches Poll this week. The Cougars are one out of the poll this week, receiving 38 votes. At the San Diego Classic I this week, San Diego State is the only other opponent receiving votes, picking up two in the USA Today/NFCA Coaches Poll.
- Sophomore Lexi Tarrow was named WCC Player of the Week for the first time in her career. Last week she hit .455 with a .571 on-base percentage. During the doubleheader on Saturday, she went 4 for 6 with three RBI. Her two RBI in the win over Louisville tied her career high. The Cougars have now won at least one of the weekly awards in each of the first three weeks of the season. Last week, BYU swept both player and pitcher of the week.
- Senior McKenna Bull is 20 strikeouts away from tying the BYU career record strikeouts total. Paige Affleck is currently at No. 1 with 803 while bull is sitting at 783. Last week, she tied the career record for complete games with Affleck at 74.
McNeese State (7-9, 0-0 Southland) | Thursday, March 2 | 1 p.m. PST
- The 7-9 Cowboys have played some of the top teams close, losing by one run to both No. 4 LSU and No. 24 Baylor.
- In 2016, they won the Southland Conference Tournament, advancing to the NCAA Baton Rouge Regional. They beat Arizona State before falling to LSU and then again to the Sun Devils.
BYU has not faced McNeese State since 2003 when the two teams played twice at the Texas A&M Tournament, with the Cougars winning both games.
San Diego State (8-5, 0-0 MW) | Thursday, March 2 | 6 p.m. PST
- The Aztecs picked up a big win over the weekend against No. 17 Utah at the Mary Nutter Collegiate Classic, improving their record to 8-5.
As former Mountain West Conference foes, BYU has a 27-24 all-time record over SDSU, including a 16-11 advantage on the road. In 2016, the Cougars fell 3-2 in the San Diego Classic.
Miami (Ohio) (5-8, 0-0 MAC) | Friday, March 3 | 1 p.m. PST
- The RedHawks have started 2017 with a 5-8 record.
- After winning the 2016 MAC Tournament, they advanced to the NCAA Ann Arbor Regional, picking up one win against Notre Dame.
BYU has played Miami just twice in its history, winning both matchups. The last win came in 2006, a 10-0 run-rule victory at the Stanford Classic in Stanford, California.
Detroit Mercy (3-7, 0-0 Horizon League) | Friday, March 3 | 3:30 p.m. PST
- The Bulldogs have started their season on the road, gathering a 3-7 record.
- In 2016, they had a 17-39 overall record, 7-17 in conference play.
This game will be the first meeting between BYU and Detroit Mercy.
Boston University (5-4, 0-0 Patriot League) | Saturday, March 4 | 1 p.m. PST
- The Terriers have started 2017 with a 5-4 record, picking up a win over then-No. 23 Florida Atlantic.
- In 2016, they advanced to the NCAA Lafayette Regionals after winning the Patriot League Championships.
- BYU and Boston have never played in softball before this game.