Deseret First Duel matchup in Provo on Wednesday
PROVO, Utah – For the first time since 2014, BYU softball will host a ranked team in No. 11/13 Utah for the Deseret First Duel matchup at Gail Miller Field on Wednesday at 5 p.m. MDT.
In the rivalry between these two schools, Utah (21-4, 3-0 Pac-12) has never been ranked when playing BYU (18-7, 0-0 West Coast Conference). Back in 2010, BYU was No. 25 when playing Utah at Miller Park.
The game will be televised live on BYUtv starting at 5 p.m. MDT. Live stats will be available on the BYU softball schedule page.
- The last time BYU hosted a ranked team was back in 2014 when No. 2/3 Oregon came to Provo. The Cougars picked up a 6-5 win over the Ducks.
- For the fifth time this season, BYU won WCC Pitcher of the Week, this time with senior McKenna Bull earning her third nod. She picked up three wins last week with a 0.50 ERA while holding batters to a .093 batting average. She totaled 21 strikeouts in three games played. As a team, the Cougars have taken at least one of the weekly awards every week so far in 2017, including sweeps of both player and pitcher of the week in weeks two and four.
- With the career records for complete games, shutouts, saves and strikeouts under her belt, Bull still has a few career marks to reach. She is one win away from tying Paige Affleck’s 91 career wins. Additionally, she is close to reaching Affleck’s 803.1 career innings pitched. Bull has 782.2 so far. At the plate, Ashley Thompson is moving up career lists herself, currently fifth in stolen bases (39) and third in walks (110).
No. 11/13 Utah (21-4, 3-0 Pac-12)
- In 2016, the Utes advanced to the NCAA Super Regionals after winning the NCAA Lexington Regional, finishing the year with a 36-21 record.
- This season, Utah has picked up wins against Tennessee, LSU and just last weekend swept then-No. 10 UCLA on the road in a three-game series.
- In the series history between BYU and Utah, the Cougars hold a 32-17 lead, including a 16-5 advantage at home. The matchup hasn’t been held in Provo since 2013, when BYU beat Utah 4-2. Last season, the Cougars picked up a close 5-4 win in Salt Lake City.
BYU softball head coach Gordon Eakin has announced the signings of Maddie Udall and Kaysen, who will both join the…
BYU softball head coach Gordon Eakin has announced the 2023 schedule that features 15 home games at Gail Miller Field…