Cougars and Wolverines to play in UCCU Crosstown Clash on Wednesday
PROVO, Utah – Following a bye weekend, No. 20/21 BYU softball is back in action against Utah Valley in the Utah Community Credit Union Crosstown Clash on Wednesday at Gail Miller Field.
The Cougars (32-10, 6-0 West Coast Conference) played just one game last week, picking up a 4-0 win against Southern Utah in Provo. The Wolverines (12-20, 4-8 WAC) are currently on a three-game losing streak after getting swept in the series against Grand Canyon over the weekend.
The matchup will begin at 6 p.m. MDT and will be televised live on BYUtv. It will also be on BYU Radio – Sirius XM 143, along with live stats on the BYU softball schedule page.
- This Wednesday is BYU’s fifth in-state game of the 2017 season, the first against Utah Valley. The Cougars are 4-0 so far this year, defeating Utah and Utah State while winning the two-game series against Southern Utah. After the game against the Wolverines this week, BYU has one more in-state game against Utah State on May 9.
- BYU has held its opponents scoreless in the past four games, with two of the four victories being run-rule wins. There have been just seven hits by the opponents over those games. McKenna Bull has thrown 22-consecutive scoreless innings, while Arissa Paulson has pitched 14-straight innings without giving up a run.
- The Cougars are ranked for the ninth week of the season, extending the recordfor the most a BYU softball team has been ranked in a single season. They remain at No. 21 in the USA Today/NFCA Coaches Poll and dropped a spot to No. 20 in the ESPN.com/USA Softball Top 25. Additionally, thanks to the tough schedule before conference play, BYU is No. 18 in the NCAA in RPI.
Utah Valley (12-20, 4-8 WAC)
- The Wolverines have won two conference series so far this season, taking two games against both CSU Bakersfield and Seattle U in Orem.
- Against WCC foes, UVU is 2-2 in 2017. The Wolverines lost to San Diego and Saint Mary’s in the season-opening tournament, but got revenge later by taking two from the Gaels back in March.
- BYU holds a 34-4 series advantage over UVU, including an 11-1 mark at home. Back in 2015, the Wolverines beat the Cougars in Provo for the first time in program history, a 13-0 run-rule win. BYU took both games in 2016.
BYU softball head coach Gordon Eakin has announced the signings of Maddie Udall and Kaysen, who will both join the…
BYU softball head coach Gordon Eakin has announced the 2023 schedule that features 15 home games at Gail Miller Field…