No. 20 BYU plays Grand Canyon at home, Santa Clara on the road
PROVO, Utah – Riding a 15-game win streak, No. 20 BYU softball gears up to play Grand Canyon at home on Wednesday before traveling to Santa Clara for a three-game West Coast Conference series.
BYU (36-10, 9-0 WCC) will look to maintain a perfect home record against Grand Canyon (36-15, 11-4 WAC). The Cougars are undefeated in conference play after sweeping San Diego last weekend. This weekend at Santa Clara (12-34, 4-8 WCC), BYU has a chance to win the 2017 WCC title outright by winning at least two games.
The game against the Lopes on Wednesday will start at 5 p.m. MDT and will be streamed live on theW.tv. In Santa Clara, the series will start with a doubleheader on Friday at 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. PDT, wrapping up the weekend with a game on Saturday at 12 p.m. PDT. All four games have live stats options on the BYU softball schedule page.
- The Cougars are currently riding a 15-game win streak. The program record for the longest win streak is 16 games, which was last achieved in 2014. During this span, BYU has picked up eight run-rule wins. The last four wins have all been mercy rule victories, which ties the 2008 and 2003 squads for the longest streak of run-rule wins.
- In Division I, BYU is one of six teams that are undefeated at home. The Cougars have amassed a perfect 13-0 record at Gail Miller Field. Florida State, Minnesota, Michigan, Marshall and Maine are the only other teams with perfect home records.
- Freshman Rylee Jensen was named the Louisville Slugger/NFCA National Player of the Week in addition to receiving the WCC Player of the Week nod. Over the four wins last week, she led BYU with a .667 batting average, tallying 12 RBI, eight runs and three home runs–two of which were walk-offs. This is the first national honor for a BYU player this season
- McKenna Bull has thrown 36.2-consecutive scoreless innings, a BYU record, spanning seven games. In five of those games, she has allowed only three hits or less.
Grand Canyon (36-15, 11-4 WAC)
- The Lopes are currently tied for first place in the Western Athletic Conference with New Mexico State.
- They started off the 2017 season strong, compiling an 18-1 record.
BYU has played Grand Canyon just once before, picking up the 4-0 win back in February 2016.
Santa Clara (12-34, 4-8 WCC)
- The Broncos won the series at Saint Mary’s back in early April, winning two of the three games.
- The Cougars hold a 16-2 all-time advantage over the Broncos, including an 8-1 mark on the road. BYU has swept Santa Clara in the past two seasons in WCC play.