A pair of in-state games for No. 20 BYU at home
PROVO, Utah – After clinching the West Coast Conference championship over the weekend, No. 20 BYU softball returns home for in-state games against Utah Valley and Utah State on Monday and Tuesday, respectively.
BYU (40-10, 12-0 WCC) has played both UVU (16-21, 7-8 WAC) and Utah State (32-15, 14-9 MW) previously this season. The Cougars beat the Wolverines in Provo 12-4 in four innings two weeks ago. Back on April 5 in Logan, Utah, BYU squeezed out an 8-6 victory. That game against the Aggies was the last time McKenna Bull has given up a run.
The matchup against UVU will begin at 5 p.m. MDT on Monday. The Aggies and Cougars will faceoff on Tuesday at 6 p.m. MDT and will be streamed on theW.tv. Both games will have live stat options on the BYU softball schedule page.
- BYU softball is in the midst of its longest winning streak in program history with 19-straight wins. During this span, the Cougars have picked up eight run-rule wins.
- For the fourth year in a row, BYU earned the WCC championship. This is also the ninth-consecutive conference championship for the Cougars, spanning four different conferences.
- In WCC play, BYU is a perfect 12-0. In program history, the Cougars have never been undefeated in conference play. The fewest amount of conference games lost has been two, which happened in 2005, 2009, 2011, 2014 and 2015.
- At Gail Miller Field, BYU is 14-0. Only Florida State, Minnesota and Michigan have also maintained a perfect record at home this year.
- McKenna Bull has now thrown 52-consecutive scoreless inning, extending the BYU record. This streak spans 11 games played, nine of which were complete games. In six of those complete games, she has allowed just three hits or less.
Utah Valley (16-21, 7-8 WAC)
- The Wolverines finished the Western Athletic Conference with a 7-8 mark, good for third place in the standings. They will be a two seed for the WAC Tournament that begins on May 11 in New Mexico.
- In the first matchup between BYU and UVU, the Wolverines jumped out to a 4-0 lead before the Cougars scored 12 unanswered runs. Lexi Tarrow hit a walk-off homer in the bottom of the sixth to earn the run-rule win.
Utah State (32-15, 14-9 MW)
- The Aggies were swept at San Jose State last week to wrap up Mountain West play.
- When BYU and Utah State played in Logan back on April 5, Libby Sugg hit a three-run home run to lead the offense in the 8-6 win.