Ava Gives Cougars Walk-off win Against Seattle 4-3
TEMPE, Ariz. – A walk-off single from Huntry Ava gave BYU softball its first win of the season against Seattle University on the final day of the Kajikawa Classic on Saturday afternoon.
"We battled through another hard-fought game today against a quality opponent," BYU head coach Gordon Eakin said. "We found a way to win after trailing late in the game."
- Violet Zavodnik homered for the second time in three days while also going a perfect 3-3. The freshman currently leads the team in home runs.
- Huntyr Ava reached base sending Taylei Williams home to give the BYU softball team a walk-off win.
- Autumn Moffat-Korth came in as a relief pitcher and threw three perfect innings while also striking out three batters.
- Violet Zavodnik: 3-3, 2R, 1RBI, 1HR, 1HBP, 1SB
- Autumn Moffat-Korth: W (1-2), 3.1 IP, 0H, 0R, 0BB, 3K
- Huntyr Ava: 2-4, 2RBI
- Taylei Williams: 1-4, 1R, 1SB
In the top of the seventh inning, Moffat-Korth retired all three batters to keep the score tied at 3-3. In the bottom of the frame, Williams singled to right field and immediately followed it up with a stolen base to get into scoring position. Zavodnik singled to first base to move Williams to third. Ava reached on a fielder’s choice and Williams made it home to walk it off for the Cougars.
After going down by one in the first inning, the Cougars immediately answered back leadoff hitter Rylee Jensen-McFarland blasted a ball over the fence to tie the score up at 1-1. Three plays later, Zavodnik made it home on an Ava single to give BYU the edge 2-1.
The two teams went scoreless for two innings before Seattle scored two runs in the top of the fourth. BYU again answered back as Zavodnik homered, her second in three days, to again tie the score at 3-3.
BYU took the win in the bottom of the seventh as Williams made it home with a fielder’s choice from Ava.
The Cougars will now co-host the St. George Classic with Dixie State in St. George, Utah, from Feb. 17-20.
The BYU softball team today released its fall schedule, which includes six home games, two road games and five Blue-…
With the conclusion of the 2018-19 academic year, the West Coast Conference has announced the 18th annual WCC…
BYU softball head coach Gordon Eakin announced today that Chloe Temples and Macy Simmons will join the Cougars this…
BYU softball will hold walk-on tryouts at Gail Miller Field on Sept. 2 at 3 p.m. MDT.