Hitting frenzy leads BYU to 12-2 win over Sam Houston State
SAN MARCOS, Texas – Behind a hitting frenzy, BYU softball downed Sam Houston State 12-2 Wednesday afternoon at Bobcat Stadium.
- BYU scored 10 runs in the fourth inning, it was the first time the Cougars have scored 10+ runs in an inning since scoring 11 against Santa Clara in 2017.
- Morgan Bevell, Rylee Jensen and Alyssa Podhurcak all hit homers in the game. It was Bevell’s first of the season, Jensen’s eighth and Podhurcak’s second.
- Rylee Jensen continues on her rampage of scoring runs as the senior is now ranked No. 3 nationally with 185 career runs among active players.
- Rylee Jensen: 2-3, 2R, 3RBI, 2B, HR, BB
- Alyssa Podhurcak: 2-3, 2R, 2RBI, HR
- HannahJo Peterson: 2-3, R, 2RBI, 2B
- Arissa Paulson: (W, 3-2), 4.0IP, 3H, 2R, 1BB, 5K
Despite going down in the top of the first inning 2-0, the Cougars answered back with a vengeance. Paulson faced only three batters in the second inning going three up, three down before the Cougars tied the score at 2-all as both Morgan Bevell and Jensen smacked solo homers.
In the bottom of the fourth inning, BYU’s bats came alive as 10 runners made it home, including two from Podhurcak who also hit one over the fence to make the score 12-2
Pitcher Reggie Kanagawa closed out the game for BYU and ultimately the Cougars took the 12-2 win due to the NCAA eight-run rule.
The Cougars continue their games in Texas taking on host team Texas State, Thursday, March 11 at 6 p.m. CT at Bobcat Stadium.