BYU rolls in 8-0 mercy-rule win over Southern Utah
PROVO, Utah — BYU softball rolled past Southern Utah 8-0 Thursday afternoon at Gail Miller Field for its 12th consecutive win.
- BYU tallied four runs in both the second and third innings before the mercy rule was applied in the middle of the fifth inning. The mercy-rule win was BYU’s fifth of the season
- Rylee Jensen’s two-RBI double in the bottom of the second frame brought her within one double from tying the all-time program record
- Peterson launched a two-run homer to right to cap a four-run second inning. The home run was her fifth of the season
- Autumn Moffat-Korth notched four strikeouts and gave up just one hit through four innings on the mound
- Rylee Jensen: 1-1, 3RBI, R, 2B, BB
- HannahJo Peterson: 1-3, 2RBI, HR
- Martha Epenesa: 1-3, RBI, 2B, R
- Autumn Moffat-Korth: W (11-8), 4.0 IP, 4K, 1H, 0R
The Cougars opened the scoring in the bottom of the second inning, notching four runs in the frame. Kaylee Erickson drew a walk and Erin Miklus reached base on a bunt single before both came home on a deep Rylee Jensen double off the top of the center-field wall. The next batter, HannahJo Peterson, then homered to right to put BYU up 4-0.
In the bottom of the third, the Cougars poured on another four runs to go up 8-0. Epenesa first drove in Oyanguren, pinch-running for Arissa Paulson, with a double to left-center. Erickson reached on an infield single and Miklus was hit by a pitch to load the bases before a Jensen walk brought Martha Epenesa home.
With the bases loaded, Erickson then scored as Peterson reached on a fielder’s choice before Miklus scored from third on a wild pitch to give BYU an 8-0 lead.
The Cougars sealed the shutout 8-0 win in the top of the fifth as the mercy rule was applied following a three-up, three-down frame. Autumn Moffat-Korth earned the win for BYU, dealing four strikeouts on the mound and giving up just one hit through four innings pitched.
BYU returns to action next Wednesday, April 21, when it will host in-state rival Utah at Gail Miller Field. First pitch is slated for 5 p.m MDT and the contest will be broadcast on BYUtv and on the BYUtv App.
Cougars tab five on WCC All-Academic teams
Senior pitcher Chloe Temples highlighted five BYU softball student-athletes on the 2023 West Coast Conference All-…
BYU falls to Iowa in NISC title game, 9-7
BYU softball fell to Iowa, 9-7 in a back-and-forth NISC title game at Red Rocks Field on Saturday afternoon.