BYU opens road trip at San Diego
PROVO, Utah — BYU women’s basketball hits the road to take on San Diego at Jenny Craig Pavilion on Monday, Jan. 4, at 6 p.m. PST. The game will be streamed live on the WCC Network.
Monday’s contest will be the 21st all-time between the two teams, with the Cougars holding a 13-7 series lead. BYU and San Diego split the season series last year and both finished the 2019-20 West Coast Conference regular season standings tied for second.
ABOUT BYU (6-1, 2-0 WCC)
- The Cougars are 2-0 in WCC play with dominant wins at home last week over San Francisco (70-46) and Santa Clara (76-50)
- Three different players are averaging double figures in scoring for BYU: Sophomore guard Shaylee Gonzales (20.3 ppg), sophomore forward Lauren Gustin (13.4 ppg) and senior guard Paisley Johnson Harding (12.1 ppg)
- Gustin ranks third in the nation in rebounds per game (12.4 rpg) and 5th in double doubles (5)
- Gonzales is the WCC’s leading scorer and the 33rd highest scorer in the country
- In assists, senior guard Maria Albiero leads the team with 4.4 apg. Albiero also leads the WCC with a 2.8 assist/turnover ratio
- With 337 career blocks, Sara Hamson is just four away from passing her older sister, Jennifer, as No. 2 on BYU’s all-time career blocks list
- As a team, the Cougars rank 20th in the country in free-throw percentage (.780) and 39th in total 3-pointers made (55)
ABOUT SAN DIEGO (4-3, 1-1 WCC)
- The Toreros are 1-1 in conference play after losing last week to Santa Clara 51-49 and defeating San Francisco 61-54
- Senior guard Jordyn Edwards leads San Diego in scoring (10.3 ppg), assists (3.0 apg), steals (2.9 spg) and blocks (0.6 bpg)
- Fellow senior guard Sydney Hunter is the Toreros’ leading rebounder (6.4 rpg) and second-leading scorer (9.4 ppg)
- Junior forward Kendall Bird and senior guard Myah Pace are both averaging 8.3 ppg. Pace was selected to the 2020-21 WCC Preseason All-WCC Team
- San Diego finished tied with BYU for second place in last season’s final WCC regular season standings and was picked to finish fourth in this year’s Preseason WCC Poll
- Head coach Cindy Fisher is in her 16th season with the Toreros and has a 286-191 record with the program
- BYU has a 13-7 all-time series lead over San Diego
- When playing in San Diego, the Cougars are 3-5 against the Toreros
- Last season, BYU and San Diego split the season series. The Toreros most recently beat the Cougars in San Diego, 51-45, on Feb. 8, 2020
BYU remains on the road to face Loyola Marymount on Thursday, Jan. 7, at 6 p.m. PST. The game will be streamed live on the WCC Network.