Cougars to host Pacific on Tuesday
PROVO, Utah — The BYU-Pacific women’s basketball game originally scheduled for Jan. 16 has been rescheduled for Tuesday, Jan. 26, at 2 p.m. MST at the Marriott Center. The WCC contest will be broadcast live on the BYUtv App.
The game will be the Cougars’ first since Jan. 14, when BYU cruised past Saint Mary’s 80-63 at home. The Tigers travel to Provo having split a pair of home matchups last week, losing to LMU, 81-71, on Thursday before defeating Pepperdine, 61-45, on Saturday.
ABOUT BYU (8-2, 4-1)
- The Cougars, who have had four of their last five scheduled games postponed due to COVID-19 protocols, last played on Jan. 14 when they beat Saint Mary’s 80-63 at home
- BYU is currently in second place in the WCC with a 4-1 record, trailing Gonzaga who is 8-0
- Lauren Gustin recorded her seventh double-double of the season against the Gaels and was named WCC Player of the Week for her performance
- Gustin currently ranks second in the country in defensive rebounds per game (10.0) and third in rebounds per game (13.5). Her seven double-doubles also put her at 18th in the nation in the category
- Shaylee Gonzales leads the WCC in scoring (20.2 ppg) and is the 27th highest scorer in the country. She also ranks second in the conference in field goal percentage (51.6%)
- Gustin (12.3 ppg) and Paisley Johnson Harding (12.0 ppg) are also averaging double figures in scoring while Tegan Graham is the Cougars’ fourth leading scorer (7.5 ppg)
- Hamson leads the WCC in blocked shots per conference game (3.6) and ranks 17th in the nation in blocked shots per game (2.5)
- As a team, BYU ranks 20th in the country in field-goal percentage (46.6%) and 31st in assists per game (16.7). The Cougars also lead the WCC in field-goal percentage (.466) and field-goal percentage defense (.358)
ABOUT PACIFIC (5-4, 3-3)
- The Tigers currently sit in seventh place in the WCC standings after splitting a pair of home contests last week. Pacific fell to LMU 81-71 on Thursday before beating Pepperdine 61-45 on Saturday
- Senior guard Valerie Higgins is the WCC’s second-leading scorer (17.0 ppg) and also leads Pacific in rebounds (7.9 rpg) and steals (3.7 spg)
- Senior forward Brooklyn McDavid is averaging 12.7 ppg and 6.3 rpg. Both McDavid and Higgins were named to the 2020-21 Preseason All-WCC Team
- Senior guard Lianna Tillman is the Tigers’ assist leader (4.3 apg) and is also scoring 9.9 points per contest
- As a team, Pacific ranks third in the WCC in scoring offense (70.78 ppg), 3-point FG% (.351) and 3-pointers per game (6.67)
- The Tigers finished fifth in the WCC regular season standings last season and were picked to finish sixth in the 2020-21 WCC Preseason Poll
- Head coach Bradley Davis has accumulated a 79-86 record in six seasons with the Pacific program
- BYU holds a 17-4 all-time series lead over Pacific
- The Cougars are 7-2 against the Tigers when playing in Provo
- Last season, BYU swept the season series, notching a 76-66 overtime win on the road and a 65-54 win at the Marriott Center
The Cougars are slated to host San Diego on Saturday, Jan. 30, at 12 p.m. MST at the Marriott Center. The game will be streamed live on the BYUtv App.