BYU returns home for Carroll College, Ball state this week
PROVO, Utah – BYU women's basketball returns home to the Marriott Center this week to host Carroll College on Wednesday, Nov. 23 and Ball State on Saturday, Nov. 26. Both games begin at 2 p.m. MT will be streamed on the BYUtv App and BYUtv.org. Saturday’s game will also air on BYUtv.
Carroll College out of Helena, Montana, is one of the top NAIA programs is 4-3 to start the year while Ball State is 2-2 and heading to Utah for a two game stretch against Utah State and BYU.
- CARROLL COLLEGE (NOV. 23). The Fighting Saints of Carroll College are 4-3 to start their NAIA season and are coming of a 74-35 win over Willamette last week.
- BALL STATE (NOV 26). The Cardinals are 2-2 heading into the week and will play Utah State on Wednesday in Logan before facing the Cougars on Saturday.
- LAST GAME. After picking up its first win of the year against previously undefeated Washington State with a 65-56 victory with three players in double figures, the Cougars fought to the end but came up short to Troy 68-62 at the North Shore Showcase. Lauren Gustin just missed out on a triple-double with 21 points, 12 rebounds and a career-best eight assists.
- NEW ERA. BYU has a new head coach in Amber Whiting for the first time in 21 seasons after the retirement of Jeff Judkins. Judkins, the winningest coach in school history (455 wins) paved the way for first-time head coach Amber Whiting, a Cougar alum to take the rains in 2022-23. BYU is will also need to replace the WCC Player of the Year (Shaylee Gonzales), another All-WCC First Team selection (Paisley Harding) and an All-WCC Honorable Mention (Tegan Graham). The Cougars are also replacing point guard Maria Albiero who was tied with Paisley Harding for the most played games in school history.
- DOUBLE-DOUBLE MACHINE. Forward Lauren Gustin continues to be a force down low, tied for the most double-doubles in the country with 5, one in every game to start the year. She is averaging 15.0 points per game and 14.6 rebounds. She is No. 4 nationally in rebounds per game. The junior from Salem, Utah, is No. 2 in total rebounds with 73. Gustin posted a season-high 20 rebounds against No. 16 Oklahoma.
Despite coming back from an 11-point deficit to tie the game with under two minutes remaining, the BYU women’s…