No. 2 Seed BYU Plays Saturday in WCC Championship
The BYU women’s basketball team finished competing in its first season as a member of the West Coast Conference with a 24-6 overall record, a 12-4 mark in league play tied for second place in the league race with San Diego.
By virtue of their sweep over the Toreros, the Cougars earned the No. 2 seed at the 2012 Zappos.com WCC Championships that will be played at the Orleans Arena in Las Vegas, Feb. 29 to Mar. 5.
BYU received a bye into the semifinals and will play on Saturday, Mar. 3 at approximately 2:30 p.m. PST. They will play the winner of the quarterfinal game between San Diego and either Santa Clara or Portland.
The winners of the semifinal games advance to the championship game on Monday, Mar. 5 at noon, PST. The title game will air live on ESPNU. The winner receives an automatic bid to the 2012 NCAA Tournament.
2011-12 Team Summary
- Shooting from field: (.438, 789-1802)
- Shooting from 3-point line: (.347, 203-585)
- Shooting from free-throw line: (.737, 367-498)
- Average points per game: 71.6
- Average rebounds per game: 40.9
- Average assists per game: 19.3
- Average steals per game: 9.4
- Average blocks per game: 6.0
- Average turnovers per game: 16.0
|2011-12 BYU Probable Starters|
2011-12 Player Summary
-Leading scorer: Senior Kristen Riley - averages 11.8 points
-Leading rebounder: Riley - averages 7.9 boards per game
-Assist & Steals leader: Haley Steed - 215 and 66 respectively.
-Top blocker: Jennifer Hamson - 73 total
-Best field goal percentage: Hamson - (.567, 93-164)
-Best free throw percentage: Kim Parker - (.850, 51-60)
-Best 3-pt field goal percentage: Stephanie Vermunt - (.478, 44-92)
Record Breaking Players
- Haley Steed has recorded 537 assists as of 02/26/12, which places her in second place all-time. She needs 76 to tie for first place with Valerie Cravens who dished out a career 613. With the 11 assists she dished out in the home game vs. Santa Clara she set the all-time season record for total assists with 207 and as of 2/26/12 her season total is at 214.
- Steed has 214 steals to date for eighth place all-time and needs 15 to tie for seventh place with Karina Zapata’s career-high 229.
- Steed has made 184 3-pointers as of 02/26/12 putting her in fourth place overall. She needs 20 to tie for third place with Cougar standout Kari Gallup.
- Kristen Riley has 81 blocks as of 02/26/12, placing her in fifth place all-time. She needs 44 to tie for fourth place with the 125 recorded by All-American Jill Adams.
- Riley has grabbed 715 rebounds as of 02/26/12, which puts her tied with Danielle Cheesman for sixth place all-time. She needs to grab 43 to tie with Lisa Rathbun for fifth place overall with 758.
- Riley has a total of 1,020 points as of 02/26/12 becoming BYU's 22nd player to reach 1,000 points in her career. She needs two to tie with Scarlett Overly’s 1,022 points for 20th place in the prestigious 1,000 points club.
- Riley has played in a total of 126 games as of 2/26/12, which puts her in third place all-time. One more contest would put her tied in second place with Erin Thorn’s 127 total career games played.
- As of 02/26/12, 6-7 sophomore center Jennifer Hamson has tallied 118 blocks for a fifth place rank overall. She needs seven to tie for fourth place all-time with the 125 recorded by Jill Adams.
2011-12 Season Honors
Kristen Riley - WCC Player of the Year, All-Conference Team
Lexi Eaton - WCC Co-Newcomer of the Year, All- Freshman Team
Haley Steed - WCC All-Conference Team
Jennifer Hamson- Primetime Performers Weekly Honor Roll by CollegeSports360.com on 2/15/12.
Jennifer Hamson- Madness West Coast Women’s Basketball Player of the Week by College Sports Madness on 2/13/12.
Jennifer Hamson – WCC All-Academic Team
Kim Parker – WCC All-Academic Team
Kim Parker- WCC Player of the Week, 2/13/12
Kim Parker- WCC Player of the Week, 12/5/11
Kristen Riley- WCC Player of the Month for January 2/8/12
Kristen Riley- WCC Player of the Week 1/30/12
POSSIBLE SATURDAY SEMIFINAL OPPONENT
San Diego - BYU swept the series against San Diego
First meeting:BYU 62, SD 53 - 1/14/12 @ San Diego
-Riley grabs game high 13 rebounds
-Steed has game high five assists
-Scorers - Eaton (16), Peterson (10), Parker (10)
Second meeting:BYU 64, SD 50 - 2/18/12 in Provo
-Riley gets double-double with 12 points and game-high 13 rebounds
-Steed has game-high five assists and three steals
-Scorers - Steed (14), Hamson (14), Riley (12), Eaton (11)
Santa Clara - BYU swept the series against Santa Clara
First meeting:BYU 74, SCU 64 - 1/28/12 @ Santa Clara
-Five players score in double figures - Riley (17), Hamson (16), Peterson (11), Parker (10), Eaton (10)
-Riley picks up double-double with 17 points and a team-best 11 rebounds
-Steed dishes out game-high five assists
-Hamson and Parker are perfect at the free-throw line
Second meeting:BYU 84, SCU 57 - 2/23/12 in Provo
-The 56 rebounds are the most on the year to date
-The 30 assists are the most on the year to date
-Five players score in double figures - Riley (17), Hamson (14), Vermunt (12), Peterson (11), Parker (11)
-Riley records double-double with a game high 17 points and 10 rebounds
-Peterson records double-double with 11 points and a game-best 13 rebounds
-Steed dishes out team high 11 assists, which tied for second best on the year
Portland - BYU swept the series against Portland
First meeting:BYU 79, POR 53 - 1/02/12 @ Portland
-Riley scores a game-high 19 points and nine rebounds, which tie for game highs
-Eaton scores in double digits with 11
-Peterson ties for game highs on the glass grabbing nine boards
-Steed dishes out a team-best five assists and game-high three steals
Second meeting:BYU 76, POR 55 - 1/21/12 in Provo
-Three score in double digits - Eaton (16), Hamson (14), Parker (13)
-Hamson picks up double-double with 14 points and a game-high 10 rebounds, also has a game-high four blocks
-Steed dishes out game-high 10 assists for the third most on the season
A win in the semifinals would send the No. 2 seed Cougars into the title game of the West Coast Conference tournament on Monday, Mar. 5. The winner receives an automatic bid into the 2012 NCAA Tournament.