mperry | Posted: 18 Apr 2014 | Updated: 8 Nov 2020
SPOKANE, Wash. -- Impressive performances of Mayci Jones, Toby Miclat and Morgan Anderson-Littlewood proved to be enough as No. 57 BYU women’s tennis clinched a 4-3 victory for the fourth consecutive West Coast Conference win in a match against Gonzaga, Friday.
“We played great doubles today which was a nice improvement from yesterday,” BYU head coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. “We played some good singles today up until the clinch--great job to Mayci, Toby and Morgan for playing solid.”
The Cougars (12-7, 8-1 WCC ) swept the doubles point, giving them a head start agaisnt Gonzaga (8-9) who dropped to 3-5 WCC.
The freshmen Jones and Miclat cruised at No. 1 doubles over Kylie Peek and Samantha Polayes to the tune of 8-3. Freshman Savannah Ware and sophomore Nicolette Tran secured the point as they were too much for their opponents at the third slot. Juniors Meghan Sheehan-Dizon and Littlewood also edged their opponents in a narrow 8-7(10-8) win.
After taking the doubles, BYU jumped out to take three of the next four points, clinching the win.
Miclat was first off the court as she dominated Franziska Koehler 6-3, 6-0, at No. 4 singles. Jones followed at first singles with a similar result, overpowering Kylie Peek 6-0, 6-3.
Sheehan-Dizon then fell at No. 3 to Polayes, 6-3, 6-0, bringing the score to 3-1 in favor of the Cougars.
For the second match in a row Littlewood seized the opportunity to clinch the win for BYU. The junior topped Isabell Klingert in straight sets, 6-2, 7-5.
Gonzaga then took the final two matches at No. 2 and No. 5.
Next, the Cougars look to make a strong showing as the No. 2 seed in the WCC Championships April 23-26 at San Diego.
No. 57 BYU 4, Gonzaga 3
1. Mayci Jones (BYU) def. Kylie Peek 6-0, 6-3
2. Katie Edwards def. Nicolette Tran (BYU) 3-6, 7-5, 6-2
3. Samantha Polayes def. Meghan Sheehan-Dizon (BYU) 6-3, 6-4
4. Toby Miclat (BYU) def. Franziska Koehler 6-3, 6-0
5. Alexandra Tallas def. Savannah Ware (BYU) 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
6. Anderson-Littlewood (BYU) def. Isabell Klingert 6-2, 7-5
1. Jones/Miclat (BYU) def. Peek/Polayes 8-3
2. Sheehan-Dizon/Anderson-Littlewood (BYU) def. Tallas/Edwards 8-7(10-8)
3. Ware/Tran (BYU) def. Klingert/Koehler 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (4, 1, 3, 6, 2, 5)