BYU earns fifth sweep of the season in 4-0 win over New Mexico State
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. – The BYU women's tennis team finished its two-game road trip with a 4-0 victory over New Mexico State on Saturday, earning its fifth sweep of the season.
"It was a great weekend for us here in New Mexico," BYU head coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. "I'm happy with how we performed and I'm looking forward to continuing our momentum next weekend."
Junior Taylah Beckman and sophomore Samantha Smith got the Cougars (7-4, West Coast Conference 2-1) off to a hot start. The duo took on Eli Arnaudova and Helena Colvee of New Mexico State (4-9) and won 6-1.
In No. 1 doubles, senior Mayci Jones and sophomore Polina Malykh did not drop a game against New Mexico State's Yadira Rubio and Lindsay Harlas to win big, 6-0, and give BYU the doubles point. No. 2 doubles did not finish.
Smith brought momentum from doubles play to the No. 6 singles position against Colvee and dominated the match with a 6-1, 6-0 win to put BYU up 2-0. Freshman Hermehr Kaur kept the ball rolling in her matchup against Arnaudova in No. 5 singles. Kaur controlled the entire match and won 6-2, 6-1, for a 3-0 Cougar lead over the Aggies.
In No. 1 singles, Jones competed against New Mexico State's Rebecca Keijezerwaard. The two kept the match close through the first set until Jones pulled away. She carried that energy to take the second set for a 6-4, 6-1 victory, giving BYU the 4-0 sweep.
The remainder of the matches for No. 2, 3 and 4 singles did not finish.
The Cougars travel to Boise State next week and will compete on Friday, March 16 at 12:00 p.m. MT. A link to the live stats will be available on BYU's online schedule.
1. Mayci Jones/Polina Malykh def. Yadira Rubio/Linsay Harlas 6-0
2. Anastasia Abramyan/Madeline Almeida vs Rebecca Keijzerwaard/Quinty Janssen DNF
3. Taylah Beckman/Samantha Smith def. Eli Arnaudova/Helena Colvee 6-1
1. Mayci Jones def. Rebecca Keijzerwaard 6-4, 6-1
2. Anastasia Abramyan vs Lindsay Harlas DNF
3. Madeline Almeida vs Quinty Janssen DNF
4. Polina Malykh vs Yadira Rubio DNF
5. Hermehr Kaur def. Eli Arnaudova 6-2, 6-1
6. Taylah Beckman def. Helena Colvee 6-1, 6-0
Order of finish: doubles (3, 1) singles (6, 5, 1)
BYU: 7-4, 2-1 WCC