Cougars fall 4-3 to Fresno State
PROVO, Utah – BYU women's tennis (3-2) battled hard but eventually fell short 4-3 to Fresno State at home, Saturday.
“Today was a tough match to lose,” said BYU women's tennis head coach Holly Parkinson Hasler. "We definitely had the momentum many times today, and need to learn how to capitalize and close out on those big points. We are looking forward to another busy week of matches."
Emily Astle and Madeline Almeida Wanlass took the first win of the day in No. 3 doubles, 6-1, in a quick game against Fresno State’s Ella Husrefovic and Carlotta Marzano. No. 2 doubles team Helen Jiao and Emma Jewell were next to finish, defeating Fresno State's A. C. Hummel and Deniza Marcinkevica 6-2 to clinch the doubles point for the Cougars. No. 1 doubles team Leah Heimuli and Kate Cusick Truman did not complete their match, ending at 4-5 against Shir Azran and Georgia Lawson.
Jiao was the first to finish her No. 4 singles match in straight sets 6-0, 6-0, making the score 2-0. Heimuli finished next in No. 2 singles, securing a 6-2, 6-3 victory to give the Cougars a 3-0 lead. Almeida Wanlass fought hard in her No. 3 singles match but fell 4-6, 2-6 to Marcinkevica, giving the Bulldogs their first match point and a 3-1 score. Cusick Truman was the next to finish in the No. 1 position, losing a hard-fought match against Azran 4-6, 6-4, 4-6.
BYU's Jewell took on Marzano in the No. 6 singles match, but fell 1-6, 1-6, tying up the match at 3-3. Fresno State secured the 4-3 win after Astle battled hard in the No. 5 match but lost 3-6, 5-7 to Husrefovic.
The Cougars play a match on the road and one at home next week. BYU travels to Logan to take on in-state rival Utah State Friday, Feb. 14, at 12 p.m. MDT. On Saturday, Feb. 15, the Cougars host Northern Arizona at 10 a.m. MDT.
- Leah Heimuli and Kate Cusick Truman (BYU) vs. Shir Azran and Georgia Lawson (FS) 4-5
- Emma Jewell and Helen Jiao (BYU) def. A.C. Hummel and Deniza Marcinkevica (FS) 6-2
- Emilee Astle and Madeline Almeida Wanlass (BYU) def. Ella Husrefovic and Carlotta Marzano (FS) 6-1
Order of finish: 3, 2
- Shir Azran (FS) def. Kate Cusick Truman (BYU) 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
- Leah Heimuli (BYU) def. Georgia Lawson (FS) 6-2, 6-3
- Deniza Marcinkevica (FS) def. Madeline Almeida Wanlass (BYU) 6-4, 6-2
- Helen Jiao (BYU) def. A.C. Hummel (FS) 6-0, 6-0
- Carlotta Marzano (FS) def. Emilee Astle (BYU) 6-3, 7-5
- Ella Husrefovic (FS) def. Emma Jewell (BYU) 6-1, 6-1
Order of finish: 4, 2, 3, 1, 6, 5
Four BYU women’s tennis student-athletes were recognized for their academic success by the West Coast Conference on…
Seniors Anastasia Abramyan and Leah Heimuli along with sophomore Helen Jiao each received All-WCC honors, as voted on…
The BYU women’s tennis team ended the 2020-21 season with a 15-9, 4-4 West Coast Conference record and a fifth-place…
BYU women’s tennis (15-9, 4-4 WCC) was defeated by No. 7 Pepperdine, 7-0, on Senior Day at the Outdoor Tennis Courts…