Cougars triumph over New Mexico
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico – Helen Jiao clinches a 4-3 victory for BYU women’s tennis over the University of New Mexico, Friday.
Jiao secured the road win for the Cougars in the No. 6 singles position, beating Lobo Danielle Quevedo in three sets and a tiebreaker 6-0, 0-6, 7-6 (8-6).
“Pressure situations aren't given, they're earned,” said BYU women's tennis head coach Holly Parkinson Hasler. “Today we earned the right to play under pressure and pulled it out. It wasn't our best day, but it feels good to see we had the will to win no matter the circumstance.”
Early in the match, the Cougars were able to secure a 1-0 advantage heading into singles after winning the doubles points. Polina Malykh and Emilee Astle took a victory in No. 2 doubles defeating Bronte Murgett and Natasha Munday 6-3.
At No. 1 doubles, BYU's Kate Cusick Truman and Leah Heimuli secured the doubles point for BYU with a 6-4 victory over Sara Kuuttila-Webbert and Myu Kageyama.
In the other doubles match, Anastasia Abramyan and Jiao finished their No. 3 doubles match with a 3-6 loss to Hsiang-Wen Huang and Danielle Quevedo.
New Mexico tied up the score at 1-1 when Cusick Truman fell to Murgett 4-6, 0-6. BYU's Astle finished next in No. 5 singles with a quick 6-1, 6-3 victory over Kageyama. Heimuli was close behind with a 6-4, 6-1 win over Munday. At No. 2 singles, Malykh battled hard but fell 6-2, 4-6, 3-6 to Kuuttila-Webbert bringing the score to 3-2 for BYU.
After Jiao's three-set victory secured the win, Abramyan completed her match, falling in three sets 4-6, 6-2, 3-6 to Huang.
The Cougars face the University of Houston on the road Saturday, Mar. 7, at 10 a.m. CDT.
- Kate Cusick Truman and Leah Heimuli (BYU) def. Sara Kuuttila-Webbert and Myu Kageyama (UNM) 6-4
- Polina Malykh and Emilee Astle (BYU) def. Bronte Murgett and Natasha Munday (UNM) 6-3
- Hsiang-Wen Huang and Danielle Quevedo (UNM) def. Helen Jiao and Anastasia Abramyan (BYU) 6-3
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
- Bronte Murgett (UNM) def. Kate Cusick Truman (BYU) 6-4, 6-0
- Sara Kuuttila-Webbert (UNM) def. Polina Malykh (BYU) 2-6, 6-4, 6-3
- Leah Heimuli (BYU) def. Natasha Munday (UNM) 6-4, 6-1
- Hsiang-Wen Huang (UNM) def. Anastasia Abramyan (BYU) 6-4, 2-6, 6-3
- Emilee Astle (BYU) def. Myu Kageyama (UNM) 6-1, 6-3
- Helen Jiao (BYU) def. Danielle Quevedo (UNM) 6-0, 0-6, 7-6 (8-6)
Order of finish: 1, 5, 3, 2, 6, 4
Four BYU women’s tennis student-athletes were recognized for their academic success by the West Coast Conference on…
Seniors Anastasia Abramyan and Leah Heimuli along with sophomore Helen Jiao each received All-WCC honors, as voted on…
The BYU women’s tennis team ended the 2020-21 season with a 15-9, 4-4 West Coast Conference record and a fifth-place…
BYU women’s tennis (15-9, 4-4 WCC) was defeated by No. 7 Pepperdine, 7-0, on Senior Day at the Outdoor Tennis Courts…