BYU Opens 2020-21 Season with Decisive 6-1 Win Against Weber State
PROVO, Utah – BYU women’s tennis (1-0) took down Weber State (0-1) with a 6-1 victory in the season opener at the BYU Indoor Tennis Courts Saturday morning.
“I thought we played well and fought hard today,” said BYU head coach Holly Parkinson Hasler. “It’s always nice to get your first dual match in. The best way to see what we need to work on is in match play, and now that we are back in competitive play, we have so much to look forward to.”
Emilee Astle and Helen Jiao took the first win of the day, 6-3, in the No. 3 doubles match against Weber State’s Sicely Ferreira and Megan Lombardi. No. 2 doubles team Leah Heimuli and Kara Lin finished next, falling to the Wildcats' Megan Davies and Pei-Hsuan Kuo, 6-2. Anastasia Abramyan and Madeline Wanlass jumped out to an early lead over Weber State’s Yuuna Ukita and Ana Morett, but Ukita and Morett completed a comeback, winning 7-5.
Lin had a strong singles performance, beating Weber State’s Morett, 6-2, 6-1. Abramyan followed, picking up a win at the No. 1 singles spot, 7-6 (7-1), 6-1. In the No. 2 spot, Leah Heimuli grinded out a win, defeating the Wildcats’ Lombardi, 7-6 (7-2), 7-5.
BYU’s Astle kept the Cougars’ singles success rolling, as she defeated the Wildcats’ Kuo quickly, 6-2, 6-1. Jiao played in the No. 5 spot for BYU, beating Davies, 6-4, 6-3. Wanlass played in the No. 6 spot, capping off the singles sweep for BYU in a 6-4, 6-3 win.
The Cougars will return to the Indoor Tennis Courts next week when they face the Dixie State Trailblazers in a doubleheader on Saturday, Jan. 30. The first match will begin at 10:00 a.m. MST, and the second at 2:00 p.m. MST. Both matches will be streamed online.
Until further notice, only family members are allowed to attend home matches. Family members will need to be on a pre-existing list and provide photo ID in order to attend.
BYU 6, Weber State 1
1. Yuuna Ukita/Ana Morett (WSU) def. Anastasia Abamyan/Madeline Wanlass (BYU), 7-5
2. Megan Davies/Pei-Hsuan Kuo (WSU) def. Leah Heimuli/Kara Lin (BYU), 6-2
3. Emilee Astle/Helen Jiao (BYU) def Sicely Ferreira/Megan Lombardi (WSU), 6-3
Order of finish: (3, 2, 1)
1. Anastasia Abramyan (BYU) def. Yuuna Ukita (WSU), 7-6 (7-1), 6-1
2. Leah Heimuli (BYU) def. Megan Lombardi (WSU), 7-6 (7-2), 7-5
3. Kara Lin (BYU) def. Ana Morett (WSU), 6-2, 6-1
4. Emilee Astle (BYU) def. Pei-Hsuan Kuo (WSU), 6-3, 6-1
5. Helen Jiao (BYU) def. Megan Davies (WSU), 6-4, 6-3
6. Madeline Wanlass (BYU) def. Sicely Ferreira (WSU), 6-4, 6-3
Order of finish: (3, 1, 2, 4, 5, 6)