BYU sweeps Portland in WCC opener
PROVO, Utah – BYU women’s tennis (10-5, 1-0 WCC) completed its fifth sweep of the season, racing past Portland (1-5, 0-1 WCC), 7-0, in the conference opener at the Outdoor Tennis Courts on Friday.
Anastasia Abramyan and Helen Jiao opened up the match dominating their doubles match against Iva Zelic and Raphaelle LeBlanc, winning, 6-0. Emilee Astle and Leah Heimuli clinched the doubles point for the Cougars, defeating Rimona Rouf and Neli Sunjic, 6-3. Madeline Almeida Wanlass made her return after missing the last three weeks, competing with Qianxin Kong in the No. 3 doubles slot. Wanlaass and Kong led 5-4, but their contest went unfinished.
Kong gave BYU its second point of the match in a 6-1, 6-4 win over Lela Daszuta. Heimuli followed, picking up her second win of the day over Sunjic, 6-1, 6-3. Battling in the No. 4 spot, Jiao won the third singles match of the day for the Cougars, defeating Marija Elenova, 6-4, 6-0. Now 10-3 on the season, Jiao is currently riding a six-match win streak.
Abramyan won her fourth consecutive match, beating Zelic, 6-4, 6-0. Wanlass bounced back nicely from time off with a 6-2, 6-4 win over Angela Schuster. With the win, Wanlass extends her perfect record to a stellar 6-0 on the season. Astle then completed the sweep for the Cougars as she defeated Emily Soares, 7-5, 7-5.
The Cougars will welcome Utah State to Provo tomorrow, with an 11 a.m. MDT start time. Live stats will be provided, and a live stream will also be available should the match be played indoors.
As a reminder, until further notice, only family members are allowed to attend home matches. Family members will need to be on a pre-existing list and provide photo ID in order to attend.
BYU 7, Portland 0
1. Anastasia Abamyan/Helen Jiao (BYU) def. Iva Zelic/Raphaelle LeBlanc (POR), 6-0
2. Emilee Astle/Leah Heimuli (BYU) def. Rimona Rouf/Neli Sunjic (POR), 6-3
3. Qianxin Kong/Madeline Almeida (BYU) vs. Lela Daszuta/Angela Schuster (POR), 5-4, uf.
Order of finish: (1, 2)
1. Anastasia Abramyan (BYU) def. Iva Zelic (POR), 6-4, 6-0
2. Leah Heimuli (BYU) def. Neli Sunjic (POR), 6-1, 6-3
3. Emilee Astle (BYU) def. Emily Soares (POR), 7-5, 7-5
4. Helen Jiao (BYU) def. Marija Elenova (POR), 6-4, 6-0
5. Madeline Wanlass (BYU) def. Angela Schuster (POR), 6-2, 6-4
6. Qianxin Kong (BYU) def. Lela Daszuta (POR), 6-1, 6-4
Order of finish: (6, 2, 4, 1, 5, 3)
BYU Athletics launches student-athlete career marketplace with IsoTalent and Salt Lake Chamber of Commerce
In an extension of the Built4Life program, and in an effort to provide an unparalleled experience for its student-…
The following notes and quotes are from BYU men’s basketball's 75-60 loss Wednesday evening against Utah Valley at the…