Cougars fall on the road to San Diego, 6-1
SAN DIEGO – BYU women’s tennis (14-7, 3-2 WCC) saw a three-match win streak snapped in a 6-1 defeat at San Diego on Saturday afternoon at the Skip & Cindy Hogan Tennis Center. With the loss, the Cougars fall to 3-6 in road matches on the year.
The Toreros took an early lead in doubles play with Solymar Colling and Kati Kukaras defeating Anastasia Abramyan and Helen Jiao in No. 1 doubles, 6-3. Emilee Astle and Kara Lin evened the score after taking down Victoria Kalaitzis and Jessi Muljat, 6-4, in the No. 3 match. Astle and Lin remain unbeaten at 5-0 as a doubles team.
San Diego took the momentum back just minutes later as Abigail Desiatnikov and Jordan McBride pulled out a 6-3 win over Leah Heimuli and Madeline Wanlass to clinch the doubles point for the Toreros.
San Diego quickly found itself leading 3-0 after picking up additional wins at No. 1 and No. 2 singles. Colling put away Abramyan, 6-3, 6-2, and McBride used a strong second set to end an eight-match win streak by Heimuli, 7-5, 6-0. Kalaitzis picked up the Toreros’ fourth point of the match after defeating Astle, 6-0, 6-4.
In the No. 3 spot, Desiatnikov kept things rolling for the Toreros, logging a 7-5, 6-3 win over Jiao. The final two matches of the day each went into a third set tiebreaker. The first was at No. 6 doubles, where Kukaras outlasted Wanlass, 6-4, 0-6, 1-0. The second went the Cougars way, as Lin picked up BYU’s first and only point of the day in a 5-7, 7-6, 1-0 win over Andryukhov in the No. 5 slot.
BYU will make its final road trip of the season next week when they head to the Bay Area. The Cougars will face Santa Clara on Friday, April 16, at 12 p.m. PDT and San Francisco on Saturday, April 17, at 2 p.m. PDT.
BYU 1, San Diego 6
1. Solymar Colling/Kati Kukaras (USD) def. Anastasia Abramyan/Helen Jiao (BYU), 6-3
2. Abigail Desiatnikov/Jordyn McBride (USD) def. Leah Heimuli/Madeline Wanlass (BYU), 6-3
3. Emilee Astle/Kara Lin (BYU) def. Victoria Kalatzis/Jessi Muljat (USD), 6-4
Order of finish: (1, 3, 2)
1. Solymar Colling (USD) def. Anastasia Abramyan (BYU), 6-3, 6-2
2. Jordyn McBride (USD) def. Leah Heimuli (BYU), 7-5, 6-0
3. Abigail Desiatnikov (USD) def. Helen Jiao (BYU), 7-5, 6-3
4. Victoria Kalaitzis (USD) def. Emilee Astle (BYU), 6-0, 6-4
5. Kara Lin (BYU) def. Elisabeth Andryukhov (USD), 5-7, 7-6, 1-0
6. Kati Kukaras (USD) def. Madeline Wanlass (BYU), 6-4, 0-6, 1-0
Order of finish: (1, 2, 4, 3, 6, 5)