BYU to play final road matches of season at Santa Clara, San Francisco this weekend
PROVO, Utah – BYU women’s tennis will take its final road trip of the year this weekend when it heads to the Bay Area to face Santa Clara on Friday, April 16 and San Francisco on Saturday, April 17.
BYU Notes (14-7, 3-2 West Coast Conference)
- BYU is 14-7. The Cougars’ three-match win streak was snapped in a 6-1 loss at San Diego. Freshman Kara Lin picked up the lone win for BYU against the Toreros.
- BYU has wins over Gonzaga, Washington State, Pacific, Utah State, Portland, Grand Canyon, Seattle, Boise State, Sacramento State, Fresno State, Dixie State (twice), Weber State (twice). The Cougars have losses to San Diego, Saint Mary’s, Utah, Oregon, Denver, Colorado, Cal Poly.
- Six of BYU’s seven losses have come on the road.
- Five players have reached double-digit wins this season: Emilee Astle (14-6), Leah Heimuli (14-6), Helen Jiao (13-6), Madeline Wanlass (10-2).
- BYU has won 68% of its singles matches and 70% of its doubles. Astle and Kara Lin have battled in the No. 3 doubles spot as of late and are yet to be defeated at 5-0.
- The seniors have led the team all season long. In the last 10 matches, both Heimuli and Wanlass are 8-2 while Abramyan is 7-3. The three account for 41% of BYU’s singles victories this season.
Head Coach – Holly Parkinson Hasler
- Alma Mater: BYU, 1998
- Division I Career Record: 33-21 (3rd season)
- Record at BYU: Same
BYU Doubles Records
- Anastasia Abramyan & Madeline Almeida Wanlass (0-1)
- Leah Heimuli & Kara Lin (5-1)
- Emilee Astle & Helen Jiao (4-1)
- Madeline Almeida Wanlass & Elizabeth Tullis (2-0)
- Anastasia Abramyan & Elizabeth Tullis (1-0)
- Anastasia Abramyan & Qianxin Kong (0-1)
- Anastasia Abramyan & Helen Jiao (7-6)**
- Leah Heimuli & Emilee Astle (4-3)
- Qianxin Kong & Kara Lin (4-0)
- Kara Lin & Elizabeth Tullis (3-1)
- Leah Heimuli & Madeline Wanlass (4-2)**
- Emilee Astle & Elizabeth Tullis (0-1)
- Emilee Astle & Kara Lin (5-0)**
**Three most recent doubles teams
BYU Singles Records
- Anastasia Abramyan (10-7)
- Leah Heimuli (14-6)
- Helen Jiao (13-6)
- Emilee Astle (14-6)
- Kara Lin (7-11)
- Madeline Wanlass (10-2)
- Xenia De Luna (8-1)
- Qianxin Kong (4-1)
- Elizabeth Tullis (3-0)
Santa Clara Notes (2-11, 0-5 WCC)
- Santa Clara is 2-11 and is coming off a 5-2 loss at Portland on Saturday.
- Santa Clara has wins over Sacramento State and Dominican Cal. The Broncos have losses to Portland, Gonzaga, Saint Mary’s, Pacific, CSUN, Pepperdine, UC Davis, Fresno State, San Jose State, Stanford, Nevada.
- Both the Broncos’ wins are at home, but they are just 2-5 this season as the home team. The Broncos have lost eight straight, with their last win coming back on March 12.
- BYU and Santa Clara last met up in March 2019, with the Toreros pulling out a 4-0 sweep. BYU is just 1-3 at the Skip & Cindy Hogan Tennis Center, with the lone win coming back in 2015. Santa Clara leads the all-time series 5-4.
Head Coach – Ben Cabell
- Alma Mater: San Diego State
- Division I Career Record: 137-159 (15th season)
- Record at SCU: Same
Santa Clara Match Information — Friday, Apr. 16
- Time: 12 p.m. PDT
- Location: Degheri Tennis Center
- Live Stats: Live Stats
- Live Stream: SCU Live Stream
San Francisco Notes (10-5, 3-1 WCC)
- San Francisco is 10-5 and is coming off a 4-1 loss at Gonzaga on Saturday.
- San Francisco has wins over Portland, Pacific, Saint Mary’s, Colorado, UC Davis, Sacramento State, Fresno State, Nevada, Academy of Art, Dominican. The Dons have losses to Gonzaga, No. 5 Pepperdine, Cal Poly, San Jose State, No. 19 Cal.
- The Dons are a perfect 6-0 at home. They had won four straight before dropping the Gonzaga match over the weekend.
- BYU and San Francisco last met up in April 2019, with the Cougars pulling out a 4-0 sweep. BYU is 3-2 at San Francisco. The Dons’ last win in the series came back in 2015. BYU leads the all-time series 8-2.
Head Coach – Peter Bartlett
- Alma Mater: Oregon, 1992
- Division I Head Coaching Experience: 7th season
- Record at USF: Same
San Francisco Match Information — Saturday, Apr. 17
- Time: 2 p.m. PDT
- Location: Olympic Club