Cougars fall to Waves in Senior Day finale
PROVO, Utah – BYU women’s tennis (15-9, 4-4 WCC) was defeated by No. 7 Pepperdine, 7-0, on Senior Day at the Outdoor Tennis Courts Friday. It was the Cougars' final match of the season.
"Today’s match with Pepperdine was bittersweet," said BYU head coach Holly Parkinson Hasler. "It’s tough to go down with a clean sweep on senior day and in the last match of our season. However, in looking back to our first match and where we are now, we’ve come a long way and we have much to look forward to. We have three promising recruits coming in next year, we are fortunate to have two returning seniors and we have an eager group of current players ready to get back to work. Madeline (Wanlass) and Polina (Malykh) have bright futures ahead of them and we will definitely miss their passion for the game and fight on the tennis court."
The three doubles matches were tight in the beginning, with the Waves holding 4-3 leads on all courts. Pepperdine pulled away though, winning 6-4 at both No. 2 and No. 3 doubles to take a 1-0 lead heading into singles.
In singles play, the Waves dominated, earning quick wins in the No. 6, No. 3 and No. 5 spots. Emilee Astle, Anastasia Abramyan and Leah Heimuli all put up good fights, but eventually fell.
Lisa Zaar beat Astle 6-2, 6-3 at No. 4 singles, and No. 113 Ashley Lahey followed with a 7-6 (3), 6-2 victory of Abramyan at No. 1 singles. No. 116 Pachkaleva followed at the No. 2 spot, defeating Heimuli 7-5, 6-4 to complete the sweep of the Cougars.
BYU 0, Pepperdine 7
1. Anastasia Abramyan/Helen Jiao (BYU) vs. Lisa Zaar/Taisiya Pachkaleva (PEPP), 4-5, uf.
2. Ashley Leahey/Nikki Redelijk (PEPP) def. Leah Heimuli/Madeline Wanlass (BYU), 6-4
3. Shori Fukuda/Astrid Olsen (PEPP) def. Emilee Astle/Kara Lin (BYU), 6-4
Order of finish: (3, 2)
1. No. 113 Ashley Lahey (PEPP) def. Anastasia Abramyan (BYU), 7-6 (3), 6-2
2. No. 116 Taisiya Pachkaleva (PEPP) def. Leah Heimuli (BYU), 7-5, 6-4
3. Shiori Fukuda (PEPP) def. Helen Jiao (BYU) , 6-1, 6-0
4. Lisa Zaar (PEPP) def. Emilee Astle (BYU), 6-2, 6-3
5. Nikki Redelijk (PEPP) def. Kara Lin (BYU), 6-0, 6-1
6. Astrid Olsen (PEPP) def. Madeline Wanlass (BYU), 6-2, 6-0
Order of finish: (3, 6, 5, 4, 1 ,2)
Four BYU women’s tennis student-athletes were recognized for their academic success by the West Coast Conference on…
Seniors Anastasia Abramyan and Leah Heimuli along with sophomore Helen Jiao each received All-WCC honors, as voted on…
The BYU women’s tennis team ended the 2020-21 season with a 15-9, 4-4 West Coast Conference record and a fifth-place…
BYU women’s tennis (15-8, 4-3 WCC) will conclude the regular season when it welcomes the sixth-ranked Pepperdine Waves…