Cougars End Losing Streak, Pick Up Big Win Against CSU
LARAMIE, Wyo. (April 5, 2002) ? The No. 40 BYU women?s tennis team needed a big win and got just that with a 4-3 victory against Colorado State Friday afternoon in Laramie, Wyo. Three singles victories and the doubles point proved to be just enough to knock off the Rams.
The No. 30 ranked team in the nation, Brooke Beverley and Dominique Reynolds, won easily at No. 1 doubles, 8-3. Elizaveta Khoudoiarova and Rebecca Pike won at No. 3, 8-4, to get BYU the doubles point.
Pike, Reynolds and Khoudoiarova won their singles matches to get BYU the victory. All of BYU?s singles victories came in commanding fashion, and all in straight sets. BYU?s losses were all close, with Lu Oswald losing a tough three-set match at No. 1, 6-1, 0-6, 6-3. Lindsay Ferrell lost 7-6, 6-2 at No. 2, and Beverley pulled out of her match in the second set because of injury. Beverley had won the first set handily, 6-1.
The Cougars will take on host Wyoming Saturday afternoon to finish their current road trip. BYU is now 2-3 in the Mountain West Conference.
1. No. 30 Beverley/Reynolds (BYU) def. Hansson/Sullivan (CSU) 8-3
2. Bartz/Vasos (CSU) def. Ferrell/Oswald (BYU) 8-6
3. Khoudoiarova/Pike (BYU) def. Paganetti/Shurin (CSU) 8-4
BYU WINS DOUBLES POINT
1. Sanja Hansson (CSU) def. Lu Oswald (BYU) 6-1, 0-6, 6-3
2. Amanda Bartz (CSU) def. Lindsay Ferrell (BYU) 7-6, 6-2
3. Rebecca Pike (BYU) def. Catherine Sullivan (CSU) 6-1, 6-3
4. Bobbe Vasos (CSU) def. Brooke Beverley (BYU) 1-6, 4-3 ret.
5. Dominique Reynolds (BYU) def. Dasha Zhurin (CSU) 6-0, 6-2
6. Elizaveta Khoudoiarova (BYU) def. Alexandra Paganetti (CSU) 6-2, 6-2
BYU WINS MATCH 4-3