Tough Road Loss to Kansas State
The No. 48-ranked BYU women's tennis team (0-1) lost its first dual match of the season to No. 61 Kansas State(1-0) 4-3 on Friday.
BYU head coach Craig Manning said that although losing is tough, he was pleased with how the girls played.
"KSU is a very good team," Manning said. "It is a little disappointing to get so close to beating such a good team and coming up just a little short. But overall, it was a good first match for us."
The dual match came down to the last match of the day, with KSU sealing the victory when senior Petra Sedlmajerova came back from a set down to beat Lu Oswald at No. 2 singles 6-7 (2), 6-2, 6-3.
KSU won the doubles point by winning at both the No. 1 and 2 spots. Nicole Schneider and Hadley Macfarlane of BYU defeated Hayley McIver and Maria Rosenberg 8-3 at No. 3 doubles.
"With it being the first match of the year, we were a little nervous and so we started out slow in doubles," Manning said. "But we came back and played them tough. I was pleased with how everyone played."
KSU was able to dominate the top half of the singles positions while BYU won the last three singles. Rebecca Pike beat Paulina Castillejos at No. 4 singles in a tough 3-set match that ended 4-6, 6-2, 4-6. Schneider beat McIver at No. 5 singles 2-6, 7-6 (3). Macfarlane defeated Andrea Cooper 6-3, 4-6, (8) at No. 6 singles.
The Cougars hope to bounce back after the tough loss with a big win over No. 44 Kansas. BYU will face the Jayhawks on Saturday at Lawrence, Kan.
(61) Kansas State vs. (48) Brigham Young, Final Score 4-3
1. Maria Rosenberg (KS) def. Dominique Reynolds (BYU) 6-4, 7-5
2. Petra Sedlmajerova (KS) def. Lu Oswald (BYU) 6-7 (2), 6-2, 6-3
3. Jessica Simosa (KS) def. Leeza Klempner (BYU) 7-6 (4), 6-1
4. Rebecca Pike (BYU) def. Paulina Castillejos (KS) 4-6, 6-2, 4-6
5. Nicole Schneider (BYU) def. Hayley McIver (KS) 2-6, 7-6 (3)
6. Hadley Macfarlane (BYU) def. Andrea Cooper (KS) 6-3, 4-6 (8)
1. Cooper/Simosa (KS) def. Klempner/Reynolds (BYU) 8-6
2. Sedlmajerova/Castillejos (KS) def. Pike/Oswald (BYU) 8-5
3. MacFarlane/Schneider (BYU) def. McIver/Rosenberg (KS) 8-3