First Conference Loss to New Mexico, 4-3
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico (March 29, 2003) -- The No. 57 BYU women's tennis team dropped its first conference match of the season on Saturday when No. 49 New Mexico edged out the Cougars 4-3. The loss drops the Cougars to a 7-9 overall record and 2-1 in the MWC.
The victory over the Cougars was only the Lobos second victory over BYU since the two teams started playing each other. With the win the Lobos improved to 11-8 on the season, 3-2 in the MWC.
"We knew that New Mexico would be ready to play us," said BYU head coach Craig Manning. "It's always tough to play someone on their home courts, where they practice everyday. It was a close match, but we weren't able to come out victorious."
The Lobos took an early lead over BYU by winning the doubles point. Seniors Liza Klempner and Dominique Reynolds of BYU lost to Maja Kovacek and Sandy Lukowski 9-7 in a tough match at No. 1 doubles. Hadley MacFarlane and Tara Porter were the lone Cougar tandem to win in doubles. They beat Maria Ruiz-Fabrega and Rachel Hatley 8-5 at the No. 2 spot. Rebecca Pike and Olga Boulytcheva also lost a close match to Tiffany Robertson and Michelle Heidbrink 9-8 at No. 3.
In singles, the Lobos were able to win the top two singles matches. Klempner lost to Kovacek 6-4, 6-3 at the No. 1 spot and Reynolds lost to Lukowski 7-5, 6-4 at the No. 2 position. Boulytcheva, Pike and MacFarlane all won in singles.
The Cougars will be back in action next weekend at home when San Diego State and UNLV come to town.
No. 49 New Mexico 4, BYU 3
1. Maja Kovacek def. Liza Klempner, 6-4, 6-3
2. Sandy Lukowski def. Dominique Reynolds, 7-5, 6-4
3. Olga Bulytcheva def. Tjasa Suvak, 6-1, 6-1
4. Rebecca Pike def. Michelle Heidbrink, 6-3, 6-0
5. Tiffany Robertson def. Tara Porter, 6-3, 6-2
6. Hadley Macfarlane def. Maria Ruiz-Fabrega, 6-1, 6-1
1. Kovacek/Lukowski def. Klempner/Reynolds, 9-7
2. Macfarlane/Porter def. Ruiz-Fabrega/Hatley, 8-5
3. Robertson/Heidbrink def. Pike/Bulytcheva, 9-8