Cougars Upset No. 49 Boise State
PROVO -- Valentine's Day was a little sweeter after the No. 58 BYU women's tennis team pulled off a 5-2 upset over No. 49 Boise State on Thursday. With the win the Cougars improve to 3-5 on the season.
"We played really well tonight," said BYU head coach Craig Manning. "[Boise State] is an extremely tough team. We're getting better and healthier all the time, and the girls are staying focused."
BYU split its first two doubles matches of the day, with seniors Anastasia Surkova and Jennifer Miccoli defeating the No. 40-ranked Boise State duo of Polina Kokoulina and Pichittra Thongdach, 8-5. With the fate of the doubles point in the hands of Dolly Chang and Kristina Doerr, the pair pulled through to win 9-8 and remain undefeated this season.
In singles play, to start things off for the Cougars, Chang handily defeated Jana Mackova (6-2, 6-1). At the No. 2 position, down by three games in her first set, BYU's Doerr rallied back to win 7-6, 6-4.
Playing in the next court, Surkova found herself in a long battle with Thongdach. Despite losing the second set, the Russian native continued to fight, eventually winning the third and final set to push the Cougars over the edge and claim the victory.
"Hopefully we can keep building like we are, then the wins will take care of themselves," said Manning.
Up next BYU will take on the visiting Red Raiders of Texas Tech on Saturday at 12 p.m. MT. The Red Raiders will challenge Boise State tomorrow at 3 p.m. MT. Both matches will be played at the BYU Indoor Tennis Courts and admission is free. BYU "Y Lot" parking is available to visitors after 4 p.m. on Fridays and all BYU parking is open to the public on Saturdays.
No. 49 Boise State - 2
No. 58 BYU - 5
February 14, 2008
1. Miccoli/Surkova (BYU) def. Tongdach/Kokoulina (BSU) 8-5
2. Chang/ Doerr (BYU) def. Baum/Mackova (BSU) 9-8
3. Jochimsen/Wlodarczyk (BSU) def. Ezhova/Carney (BYU) 8-3
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2
1. A. Surkova (BYU) def. P. Thongdach (BSU) 6-4, 4-6, 6-2
2. K. Doerr (BYU) def. P. Kokoulina (BSU) 7-6, 6-4
3. B. Jochimsen (BSU) def. E. Ezhova (BYU) 6-1, 6-2
4. D. Chang (BYU) def. J. Mackova (BSU) 6-2, 6-1
5. C. Hayasaka (BYU) def. K. Wlodarczyk (BSU) 6-1, 6-1
6. S. Housley (BSU) def. E. Carney (BYU) 6-4, 7-6
Order of finish: 4, 3, 2, 1, 5, 6