BYU Defeats Kansas State, 6-1
PROVO -- Just one day after falling to No. 39 Denver, the No. 56 BYU women's tennis team bounced back to record a 6-1 victory over Kansas State on Saturday. The Cougars improve to 5-6 on the season.
"We have a very, very talented team," said BYU head coach Craig Manning. "We have a lot of young players and right now we're trying to teach them to be accountable for what they're doing on the court. We did a much better job of that today than we did yesterday."
The Cougars gained an early lead after winning the doubles point. The No. 37 duo of Jennifer Miccoli and Anastasia Surkova contributed by recording a strong 8-2 win over K-State's Katerina Kudlackova and Olga Klimova.
In singles play, Surkova and Kristina Doerr defeated their respective Wildcat opponents in straight sets at the No.1 and No. 2 positions, respectively. After winning her first set 6-0, Dolly Chang edged out K-State's Vanessa Cottin for the 6-0, 7-6 (5) win.
BYU's only loss came at the No. 4 position with Chie Hayasaka dropping a tough three-set match to Antea Huljev.
Freshmen Elizaveta Ezhova and Elle Carney both notched wins for the Cougars, with Ezhova fighting her way to a close 7-6, 7-5 finish.
Up next BYU will next host Nevada and Kansas on Feb. 29 and March 1, respectively.
No. 68 Kansas State - 1
No. 56 Brigham Young University - 6
Feburary 23, 2008
1. Miccoli/Surkova (BYU) def. Kudlackova/Klimova (KSU) 8-2
2. Chang/Doerr (BYU) def. Yrureta/Huljev (KSU) 8-1
3. Chang/Hayasaka (BYU) def. Cottin/Guemas (KSU) 8-2
1. A. Surkova (BYU) def. V. Yrureta (KSU) 6-3, 6-2
2. K. Doerr (BYU) def. K. Kudlackova (KSU) 6-2, 6-1
3. D. Chang (BYU) def. V. Cottin (KSU) 6-0, 7-6(5)
4. A. Huljev (KSU) def. C. Hayasaka (BYU) 2-6, 6-1, 2-6
5. E. Ezhova (BYU) def. N. Vieira (KSU) 7-6, 7-5
6. E. Carney (BYU) P. Guemas (KSU) 6-1, 6-4