BYU Blanks Kansas State
MANHATTAN -- Despite playing outdoors in high winds, the No. 61 BYU women’s tennis team handily defeated Kansas State 7-0. The win improves the Cougars’ season record to 5-5.
New combinations proved to be successful enough for the Cougars to win two matches and clinch the doubles point to start things off against Kansas State. Kristina Doerr and McCall Jones played together for the first time in the spring season, recording an 8-4 win at the No. 1 position.
Freshmen Romina Nedakovic and Megan Price also earned an 8-4 victory to put BYU ahead. The Wildcats notched their only win of the day on court three with an 8-4 win over juniors Chie Hayasaka and Jocelyn Jones.
“We changed things up in doubles and it worked well today,” said BYU head coach Craig Manning.
The Cougars dominated singles play with straight set wins on courts one through five. Doerr gave up just one game at the No. 2 position in a 6-1, 6-0 win. Sophomore Elizaveta Ezhova lost the first set but came back to claim the second. She went on to win the tiebreak and finish the sweep for BYU.
“As a team, we’re really starting to play the right way,” Manning said. “These were tough conditions but the girls handled it well.”
BYU will be back in action Friday against Kansas. The match starts at 1 p.m.
Kansas State- 0
1. Kristina Doerr/McCall Jones (BYU) def. Katerina Kudlackova/Nina
Sertic (KSU), 8-4
2. Romina Nedakovic/Megan Price (BYU) def. Vanessa Cottin/Mariya Slupska
3. Antea Huljev/Petra Chuda (KSU) def. Jocelyn Jensen/Chie Hayasaka
1. McCall Jones (BYU) def. Antea Huljev (KSU), 6-2, 6-4
2. (118) Kristina Doerr (BYU) def. Nina Sertic (KSU), 6-1, 6-0
3. Chie Hayasaka (BYU) def. Vanessa Cottin (KSU), 6-4, 7-5
4. Romina Nedakovic (BYU) def. Petra Chuda (KSU), 6-4, 7-5
5. Megan Price (BYU) def. Katerina Kudlackova (KSU), 6-3, 6-2
6. Elizaveta Ezhova (BYU) def. Natasha Vieira (KSU), 3-6, 6-3, 1-0