Cougars Secure Another Conference Win
FORT WORTH -- Earning the doubles point made the difference for the No. 57 BYU women’s tennis team in a close 4-3 victory over New Mexico Friday. The Cougars remained undefeated in Mountain West Conference play and improve to 11-6 on the season with the win.
“We had a mixed bag with our performances,” BYU coach Craig Manning said. “As a team, in general, we feel we can play a lot better than we did.”
McCall Jones and Kristina Doerr struck first, winning their match 8-5 on court one. New Mexico notched a victory at the No. 3 position and the point came down to Elle Carney and Megan Price on court two. The Australian pair won 8-5 to give BYU the advantage going into singles play.
Carney and Price also had commanding singles performances with wins on courts six and four respectively. Sophomore Liza Ezhova clinched the victory for the Cougars with her straight-set win at the No. 5 position.
New Mexico continued to fight and won at court one and two in tiebreaks after splitting sets. The Lobos also recorded a win at the No. 2 position to finish the match at 4-3.
“My ultimate goal is to have all three doubles teams and all six singles players focus and execute as well as they can on the same day against a strong opponent,” Manning said. “I want to see what the result is if we can perform at that level across the board.”
The women’s team will continue conference play Saturday against No. 32 TCU. The match begins at 2 p.m. To follow the match live,click here.
No. 57 BYU- 4
New Mexico- 3
1. McCall Jones/Kristina Doerr (BYU) def. Ola Abou-Zekry/Emma Hayman (UNM) 8-5
2. Elle Carney/Megan Price (BYU) def. Ashley Bonner/A. Villanueva-Forte (UNM) 8-5
3. Maria Sotirchos/Victoria Tessmar (UNM) def. Elizaveta Ezhova/Romina Nedakovic (BYU) 8-4
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2
1. Ola Abou-Zekry (UNM) def. #96 McCall Jones (BYU) 6-4, 3-6, 1-0 (10-5)
2. Mackenzie White (UNM) def. Kristina Doerr (BYU) 7-6, 6-7, 1-0 (10-8)
3. Emma Hayman (UNM) def. Chie Hayasaka (BYU) 6-3, 7-6 (7-3)
4. Megan Price (BYU) def. Victoria Tessmar (UNM) 6-1, 6-2
5. Elizaveta Ezhova (BYU) def. Ashley Bonner (UNM) 6-2, 6-2
6. Elle Carney (BYU) def. A. Villanueva-Forte (UNM) 7-5, 6-4
Order of finish: 4, 5, 6, 3, 1, 2