Cougars receive USTFCCCA All-Academic honors
PROVO, Utah – Forty-six BYU track and field athletes received All-Academic honors when the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Association (USTFCCCA) released its 2021 track and field academic awards.
The men’s team totaled 27 honorees while the women’s team added 19 recipients of their own. Both the women’s and men’s teams were named USTFCCCA All-Academic Teams after each finished the 2020-21 academic year with cumulative GPAs of 3.37 and 3.2, respectively. This marks the fourth-straight season earning All-Academic Team honors for both the men and the women.
Seven of the men and six of the women are repeat honorees. Lauren Ellsworth-Barnes, Garrett Marsing, Matt Owens, Connor Weaver and Colten Yardley are four-time honorees while Alena Ellsworth, Claire Seymour and Michael Bluth are three-time honorees.
The following criteria are used to determine Division I Track & Field All-Academic Athletes:
- Minimum CUMULATIVE grade point average of 3.25 on a 4.0 scale, including the most recent grading period, certifiable by either NCAA Faculty Rep or NCAA Compliance Coordinator or Registrar’s Office. Institutions utilizing a different GPA scale must convert the GPA to a 4.0 scale using the standard conversion method [GPA/Scale x 4.0].
- Must have completed at least two (2) semesters or three (3) quarters at the nominating institution.
- Athletic criteria for the award:
- For the indoor season: must have finished the season ranked in the top 96 in any championship individual event, or in the top 48 in any championship relay event, for the most recent indoor season, certifiable by their place on final season performance lists on TFRRS for Indoor Track and Field (including performances achieved outside the qualifying window during the indoor season).
- For the outdoor season: must have participated in any round of the NCAA Division I Outdoor Track and Field Championships (the Preliminary Championship Competition and/or the Final Championship Competition) or for the multi-events, must have finished the season ranked in the top 48 in the East or top 48 in the West for the most recent outdoor season, certifiable by their place on the NCAA Division I descending order lists on TFRRS for Outdoor Track and Field.
The following criteria are used to determine Division I Track & Field All-Academic Teams:
- The cumulative GPA (not 2020-21 academic year, not semester) for all student-athletes on the institution’s NCAA Squad List for Indoor and/or Outdoor Track and Field must be 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale, including the most recent grading period, certifiable by either NCAA Faculty Rep or NCAA Compliance Coordinator or Registrar’s Office. Institutions utilizing a different GPA scale must convert the GPA to a 4.0 scale using the standard conversion method [GPA/Scale x 4.0].
- The cumulative GPA of all student-athletes on the institution’s NCAA Squad List for Indoor and/or Outdoor Track and Field must be computed by the following method:
- Total the cumulative number of semester hours or quarter hours earned for all student-athletes on the NCAA Squad List, including the most recent grading period;
- Total the cumulative number of quality points (GPA multiplied by the number of credit hours) earned by all student-athletes on the NCAA Squad List, including the most recent grading period;
- Divide the cumulative number of quality points earned by the cumulative number of semester or quarter hours earned.
The full release of the USTFCCCA All-Academic individuals and teams can be found here.
|USTFCCCA All-Academic Honorees – BYU Women|
|Name||Major||Years Honored by USTFCCCA|
|Payge Jauhiainen||Exercise & Wellness||2021|
|Meri Dunford||Mathematics Education Premajor||2021|
|Alena Ellsworth||Nursing||2019, 2020, 2021|
|Lauren Ellsworth-Barnes||Nursing||2016, 2019, 2020, 2021|
|Halley Folsom Walker||Exercise Science||2020, 2021|
|Aubrey Frentheway||Mathematics Education Premajor||2020, 2021|
|Olivia Hoj Simister||Public Administration||2021|
|Kate Hunter||Exercise Science||2021|
|Meghan Hunter||Communication Disorders||2021|
|Haley Johnston||Wildlife & Wildlands Conservation||2020, 2021|
|McKenna Lee Hansen||Strategic Management||2021|
|Isabel Neal||Exercise Science||2021|
|Elizabeth Parkinson||Computer Science||2021|
|Ashton Riner||Communication Disorders||2021|
|Claire Seymour||Exercise Science||2018, 2020, 2021|
|USTFCCCA All-Academic Honorees – BYU Men|
|Name||Major||Years Honored by USTFCCCA|
|Cameron Bates||Physical Education Teaching/Coaching||2021|
|Michael Bluth||Information Systems||2019, 2020, 2021|
|Lucas Bons||Mechanical Engineering Pre-Professional||2021|
|Nathan Burnett||Computer Engineering||2021|
|Ethan Cannon||Exercise & Wellness||2021|
|Conner Mantz||Mechanical Engineering||2021|
|Garrett Marsing||Exercise Science||2018, 2019, 2020, 2021|
|Zach McWhorter||Pre-Business||2020, 2021|
|Michael Ottesen||Mechanical Engineering||2021|
|Matt Owens||Exercise & Wellness||2018, 2019, 2020, 2021|
|Andrew Stuart||Nutritional Science||2021|
|Jacob Veres||Actuarial Science||2021|
|Dallin Vorkink||Exercise Science||2021|
|Connor Weaver||Psychology||2018, 2019, 2020, 2021|
|Caleb Witsken||Exercise Science||2020, 2021|
|Colten Yardley||Manufacturing Engineering Technology||2018, 2019, 2020, 2021|