No. 9 BYU heads to UTEP/New Mexico State Invitational
PROVO, Utah – No. 9 BYU women’s volleyball heads back out on the road Friday and Saturday to take part in the UTEP/New Mexico State Invitational.
After falling to No. 5 Washington in five sets at the BYU Invitational, the Cougars (5-1) look to bounce back and defeat their first ranked team of the season in No. 14 Colorado State. BYU will then face off against UTEP and New Mexico State on their respective home courts.
No. 14 Colorado State
- The Cougars will take on No. 14 Colorado State Friday at 11 a.m. MDT on a neutral New Mexico State court.
- BYU is 49-28-1 overall against the Rams, having last won 3-1 in a 2012 invitational match.
- Colorado State is currently 5-1 on the early season, with its only loss coming against No. 4 Wisconsin. The Rams face Denver Tuesday night before heading to the tournament.
- They return five starters and their libero to a team that went 28-2 overall in 2013 and participated in the NCAA tournament.
- BYU will next face off against UTEP Friday at 7 p.m. MDT on its home court.
- The Cougars have a perfect 24-0 record against the Miners, with their last win coming during conference play of the 1998 WAC season.
- UTEP is 1-5 so far this season, having defeated Western Illinois last week.
- The Miners return just two starters to their team, which took ninth in Conference USA play.
New Mexico State
- To conclude the UTEP/New Mexico State Invitational, BYU will travel back to the Aggies’ home court Saturday at noon MDT.
- The Cougars hold a 29-5 record against New Mexico State. BYU’s last win against the Aggies was in the first round of the NCAA tournament in 2012.
- New Mexico State is 3-3 to begin the year and returns just two seniors to its squad that participated in the 2013 NCAA tournament.
BYU’s match against New Mexico State will be broadcast live on AggieVision in the New Mexico area. It will also be streamed live on watchespn.com. The Cougars’ match against UTEP will also be streamed live. Links to video and live stats can be found on the BYU women’s volleyball schedule page.