No. 10 BYU begins conference play at San Francisco and Santa Clara
PROVO, Utah – Following a pair of road sweeps against in-state rivals Utah and Utah Valley, No. 10 BYU women’s volleyball travels to San Francisco and Santa Clara to begin West Coast Conference play.
- The Cougars (10-1) face off against the Dons Thursday, Sept. 24, at 7 p.m. PDT at War Memorial Gym.
- BYU is a perfect 10-0 against San Francisco, including picking up a 3-1 win at home and a sweep on the road last year.
- The Dons are off to a 13-0 start on the year, tied for the second-longest streak in program history.
- San Francisco has already won more matches than it did all of last year as the team ended with a 12-18, 5-13 (T-8) overall record in 2014.
- The Dons return four starters and their libero to this year’s squad who was picked to finish eighth in league play.
- The Cougars finish off the week at Santa Clara Saturday, Sept. 26, at 1 p.m. PDT at the Leavey Event Center.
- BYU has split each of the last three seasons’ meetings with the Broncos, as each team has won on its home court all three years.
- Santa Clara is 9-3 so far this season, falling only to Texas, New Mexico and SMU.
- The Broncos finished third in the WCC last season with a 22-10, 12-6 record and participated in the first round of the NCAA tournament.
- Santa Clara was picked to finish second in the league this year and returns four starters and its libero. Amongst its returners are 2014 All-WCC First Team selection Nikki Hess and 2014 WCC Freshman of the Year Kirsten Mead.
Both matches this week will be streamed live on TheW.tv. Links to live stats and video feeds can be found on the BYU women’s volleyball schedule page.