No. 13 BYU at home against Gonzaga and Portland
PROVO, Utah – No. 13 BYU women’s volleyball returns home this week for a pair of matches against the Pacific Northwest conference schools, Gonzaga and Portland.
The Cougars (15-2, 5-1 West Coast Conference) won a come-from-behind thriller at Pacific last week before sweeping Saint Mary’s.
- BYU first faces off against Gonzaga (12-7, 3-3 WCC) Thursday, Oct. 15, at 7 p.m. MDT.
- The Cougars lead the overall series 11-1 and have won the past six-straight matches, including a five-set decision on the road in the last meeting a year ago.
- The Bulldogs split a pair of matches last week, falling in five sets at home against Loyola Marymount before beating Pepperdine in three.
- Gonzaga returns all seven starters and 12 letterwinners to last year’s 17-12, 8-10 (6th) squad.
- BYU next competes against Portland (11-7, 1-5 WCC) Saturday, Oct. 17, at 1 p.m. MDT.
- The Cougars hold a perfect 8-0 advantage over the Pilots in the overall series, sweeping both matches last season.
- The Pilots lost at home last week to Pepperdine in four and Loyola Marymount in three.
- Portland returns six starters this year after going 7-23, 1-17 (10th) last season.
Thursday’s Gonzaga match will be broadcast live on BYUtv and simulcast on BYU Radio. Saturday’s Portland match will be streamed live on TheW.tv. Links to live stats and video feeds can be found on the BYU women’s volleyball schedule page.
Thursday’s match against Gonzaga is the annual Pink Game. Fans are encouraged to wear pink in support of breast cancer awareness. Saturday’s match against Portland is the Alumni Game as well as the Cosmo’s Kid’s Club Game. Former women’s volleyball staff and players are encouraged to attend. Those alumni wishing to attend should contact assistant coach Charlene Johnson Whitted at email@example.com for more details.