No. 15 BYU faces in-state rivals No. 10 Utah and UVU this week
PROVO, Utah — Back from winning two out of three matches in Pittsburgh, No. 15 BYU prepares to face two in-state rivals this week, No. 10 University of Utah and Utah Valley University, Sept. 16 and 18.
On Thursday, the Cougars will host the Utes in the Smith Fieldhouse. BYU holds a 73-29 all-time record over Utah. However, when the teams most recently met in Dec. 2019, Utah took the victory at home.
On Saturday in the Lockhart Arena, the Wolverines will host the Cougars. BYU has never lost to UVU, holding a 17-0 record.
No. 15 Brigham Young University Cougars (8-1, 0-0 West Coast Conference)
- Most recently competed in the Panther Challenge in Pittsburgh, Penn. The Cougars swept two of their three competitors, bet fell to No. 4 Pitt.
- Junior middle blocker Heather Gneiting boasts a .522 hitting percentage, ranking No. 2 in the NCAA.
- BYU ranks No. 6 in the NCAA as a team in hitting percentage (.316), No. 11 in aces per set (2.17), No. 16 in opposite hitting percentage (.126) and No. 24 in kills per set (13.93). The Cougars lead the WCC in all four categories.
- The Cougars have swept seven of their nine opponents this season.
No. 10 University of Utah Utes (7-0, 0-0 Pac-12 Conference)
- Last week, the undefeated Utes swept Weber State and pulled off a 3-2 win over No. 3 Nebraska.
- The Pac-12 awarded Dani Drews Offensive Player of the Week. Drews had 18 kills and zero errors against Weber State last Thursday. Additionally, she posted 20 digs in those three sets of play.
- Utah ranks No. 8 in the NCAA in blocks per set (3.04) and No. 18 in assists per set (12.92).
Utah Valley University Wolverines (3-5, 0-0 Western Athletic Conference)
- Last week the Wolverines participated in the Lumberjack Classic, snagging two wins against UC Davis and Northern Arizona. The team fell to ASU.
- Makayla Pollard and Kanza Tanuvasa were named to the All-Tournament team, both notching 10+ kills.
- Kanza leads the team with 120 kills this season, followed by Kristen Bell with 63.
- Defensively, Bryton Bishop leads the team with 135 digs.
BROADCAST INFORMATION – Sept. 16
BROADCAST INFORMATION – Sept. 18
Consistent with current Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and BYU requirements, BYU Athletics will require masks in indoor venues when physical distancing isn’t maintained. This includes a requirement for those attending indoor athletic events, such as volleyball in the Smith Fieldhouse and inside the loges at LaVell Edwards Stadium. Wearing a mask will be required for entry to indoor BYU venues. Masks will not be required for outdoor BYU venues.
BYU strongly urges students, employees and campus guests to follow recent counsel from the First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to get vaccinated and wear masks.
The university will continue to monitor the situation and will reevaluate mask requirements at the end of September based on several factors including the immunization rate of the campus community, COVID-19 transmission and hospitalization rates, and guidance from health and government officials.
No. 15 BYU women’s volleyball swept Utah Valley University on Saturday in the Lockhart Area (25-16, 25-18, 25-20),…
No. 15 BYU women’s volleyball swept No. 10 Utah, handing the Utes their first loss of the season and racking up another…
In the final match of the Panther Challenge, No. 12 BYU women’s volleyball notched its seventh sweep of the season,…
No. 12 BYU women’s volleyball dropped its first match of the season, falling to No. 4 Pittsburgh on Friday in the…