No. 11 BYU heads into conference play this week
PROVO, Utah — No. 11 BYU women's volleyball will host West Coast Conference foes Pacific and Saint Mary’s, this week with matchups on Sept. 23 and 25 respectively.
On Thursday, the Cougars will host the Tigers in the Smith Fieldhouse. BYU holds an 18-7 all-time record, including a 16-match winning streak against them. The last time Pacific defeated the Cougars was in 1996.
BYU will host Saint Mary’s on Saturday. The Cougars hold a 19-6 all-time record against the Gaels. BYU triumphed in the last 14 matches, last losing to Saint Mary’s in 2013.
No. 11 Brigham Young University Cougars (10-1 0-0 West Coast Conference)
- Last week, BYU swept both of its opponents: No. 10 University of Utah at home and Utah Valley University on the road
- Junior middle blocker Heather Gneiting continues to rank No. 2 in the NCAA for hitting percentage, holding a .500 clip
- As a team, BYU ranks No. 3 in the NCAA in hitting percentage (.320), No. 7 in kills per set (14.42), No. 10 in aces per set (2.11) and No. 15 in opposite hitting percentage (.132). The Cougars lead the WCC in all four categories.
- The Cougars have swept nine of their eleven opponents this season
University of the Pacific Tigers (3-8, 0-0 West Coast Conference)
- Most recently, the Tigers competed at the Arizona State Tournament. The team suffered 3-1 losses to both ASU and UNLV.
- Pacific ranks No.1 in the WCC in the following categories: digs per set, team assists, team attacks, team digs, team kills and team total attacks
- Alexa Edwards leads the conference in attacks per set (12.14), total attacks (510) and total kills (176)
- Jadyn Tubbs leads the conference with 197 total digs this season
Saint Mary’s College of California Gaels (6-3, 0-0 West Coast Conference)
- Last week, the Gaels faced both Cal and UC Davis. After losing 3-1 to Cal, Saint Mary’s swept UC Davis.
- For the season, the Gaels swept four of their nine opponents. They hold a .238 hitting percentage.
- Elena Baka leads the team offensively, notching 98 kills and 10 aces. Defensively, Ella Sandt boasts 176 assists and 47 digs.
Broadcast Information – Sept. 23
Broadcast Information – Sept. 25
Purchase your tickets online via byutickets.com.
Consistent with current Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and BYU requirements, BYU Athletics will require masks in indoor venues when physical distancing isn’t maintained. This includes a requirement for those attending indoor athletic events, such as volleyball in the Smith Fieldhouse and inside the loges at LaVell Edwards Stadium. Wearing a mask will be required for entry to indoor BYU venues. Masks will not be required for outdoor BYU venues.
BYU strongly urges students, employees and campus guests to follow recent counsel from the First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to get vaccinated and wear masks.
The university will continue to monitor the situation and will reevaluate mask requirements at the end of September based on several factors including the immunization rate of the campus community, COVID-19 transmission and hospitalization rates, and guidance from health and government officials.