Cougars begin season with dōTERRA Classic
PROVO, Utah — No. 10 BYU women’s volleyball will begin its 2022 regular season this week, hosting the dōTERRA Classic on Friday and Saturday, Aug. 26-27 at the Smith Fieldhouse.
The Cougars will welcome Rider, Duke and Washington State to Provo for the four-team round robin tournament, playing Rider and Duke on Friday and Washington State on Saturday.
BYU returns 12 players from last season's roster, with seven having significant playing experience at BYU. The Cougars also welcome seven newcomers, including two upperclassmen transfers who started at Division 1 schools in Kelsey Knudsen and Abby Taylor.
Head coach Heather Olmstead begins her eighth year at the helm for BYU, recording an .896 win percentage in that time with a record of 191-22, never losing more than five games in a single season. Beginning the year ranked No. 10 in the American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) poll, Olmstead's teams have never been ranked lower than No. 17 during her tenure.
- First matchup between BYU and Rider in any sport
- The Broncs were 19-12 in 2021, with a 14-4 record in the MAAC
- On a seven-game win streak, Rider advanced to the 2021 MAAC Championship match before falling to Fairfield
- Head coach Jeff Rotondo is in his fourth season with the Broncs, posting a 41-33 record since 2019
- Duke played an exhibition match against Davidson on Saturday, beating the Wildcats 3-1 (25-23, 25-23, 25-23, 16-25) at Cameron Indoor Stadium
- The Blue Devils return nine letter-winners from last season and welcome eight newcomers
- Duke was 16-13 overall in 2021, going 7-11 in ACC competition
- Head coach Jolene Nagel begins her 24th season with the Blue Devils, boasting a 464-242 record during that time
- Duke and BYU last played on Aug. 24-25, 2018, in Durham. The Cougars swept the first matchup and won the second, 3-1. BYU leads the all-time series, 4-0.
Washington State (0-0)
- Washington State went 20-12 overall last season, going 13-7 in Pac-12 play
- The Cougars made the NCAA Tournament last season, sweeping Northern Colorado in the First Round before losing at No. 5 Baylor in the Second Round
- Head coach Jen Greeny enters her 12th season at Wazzu, going 186-157 in 11 years
- Washington State and BYU last played on Aug. 31, 2002. Wazzu swept the matchup, 3-0. BYU leads the all-time series in the battle of the Cougars, 5-2-1.
|Duke vs. Washington State||Friday, August 26||10am MDT||BYUtv App||Live Stats|
|Rider @ BYU||Friday, August 26||Noon MDT||BYUtv App||Live Stats|
|Washington State vs. Rider||Friday, August 26||5pm MDT||BYUtv App||Live Stats|
|Duke @ BYU||Friday, August 26||7pm MDT||BYUtv/BYUtv App||Live Stats|
|Rider vs. Duke||Saturday, August 27||4pm MDT||BYUtv App||Live Stats|
|Washington State @ BYU||Saturday, August 27||7pm MDT||BYUtv/BYUtv App||Live Stats|
The morning and afternoon games on both Friday and Saturday will be non-ticketed and open seating. Fans will need tickets for the 7 p.m. BYU games against Duke and Washington State.
Former BYU women’s volleyball All-American Amy Boswell Usevitch will be inducted into the WCC Hall of Honor on Saturday…