Kenny Cox | Posted: 3 Dec 2021 | Updated: 28 Jan 2022
No. 21 BYU heads to the University of Utah Saturday
PROVO, Utah – The No. 21 BYU women's basketball team plays on the road at Utah in the Huntsman Center on Saturday, Dec. 4 at 5 p.m. The game will be broadcast on the Pac-12 Networks.
On Twitter: @BYUwbb
- LAST GAME: BYU won the St. Pete Showcase with a 58-57 win over No. 22 West Virginia. The Cougars beat No. 17 Florida State on Thanksgiving as well during the tournament.
- After missing three games due to Covid-19, head Coach Jeff Judkins is back. Assistant coach Lee Cummard went 3-0 while fulfilling head coaching duties.
- BYU is ranked in the AP Top 25 for the first time since 2019 at No. 21 this week. The Cougars highest ranking came in 2006 at No. 18.
- The Cougars are 7-0 to start the year for the first time since the 2013-14 season. BYU started 9-0 that year and finished 28-7 and made a run to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament.
- Shaylee Gonzales was named the ESPN and WCC Player of the Week after averaging 22.7 over three games and winning the MVP at the St. Pete Showcase.
- Senior point guard Dru Gylten picked up five assists in the game against Eastern Illinois and now has 440 for her career, which moves her into a tie for 6th place on the all-time career assists list at Utah with Karen Alcorn.
- Utah will be looking for its first win over a Top 25 team this season. Utah has knocked off a Top 25 opponent each year, under the direction of Lynne Roberts.
- Utah holds an 81-percent winning percentage when playing in Salt Lake City, holding an all-time record of 528-127. Utah is a perfect 4-0 at home during the 2021-22 season.
- The Utes offense is explosive this season. They are averaging 88.3 points per game, the second-best mark in the nation, and 11.7 three-pointers per game, second-best in the NCAA.