Seasiders top Cougars 4-3 in Hawaii
LAIE, Hawai'i - In the first of two matches in Hawaii, the BYU women's tennis team fell to BYU-Hawaii 4-3 on Thursday.
"BYU Hawaii played aggressive in doubles today and took control by winning those matches," BYU head coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. "We bounced back and fought hard in singles. Meghan [Sheehan-Dizon], Mackenna [Maddox] and Aubrey [Paul] pulled out some great wins today."
The Cougars(5-5) won three singles matches but the Seasiders (10-1) also won three singles matches and swept doubles play for the winning point.
Sophomore Sheehan-Dizon secured the first Cougar point by defeating Marika Kobayashi 6-1, 6-4 on court 3.
Playing at the No. 5 position, Maddox won in straight sets 7-5, 604. Paul also topped her opponent 6-3, 6-4 on court 6 for BYU's third point of the day.
BYU Hawai'i earned wins on courts 1, 2 and 4.
The Cougars stay in Hawai'i to face the University of Hawaii on Saturday at 11 a.m. HDT.
1. Hwang/Liu (BYU-H) def. D. Tran/M. Sheehan-Dizon (BYU) 8-5
2. Tuinetoa/Koayashi (BYU-H) def. Anderson/N. Tran (BYU) 8-5
3. Griffin/Ulbrichtova (BYU-H) def. Paul/Young (BYU) 8-4
1. Annie Hwang (BYU-H) def. Desiree Tran (BYU) 7-6(0), 6-0
2. Sherry Liu (BYU-H) def. Morgan Anderson (BYU) 6-0, 6-3
3. Meghan Sheehan-Dizon (BYU) def. Marika Kobayashi (BYU-H) 6-1, 6-4
4. Marietta Tuionetoa (BYU-H) def. Nicolette Tran (BYU) 6-4, 6-3
5. Mackenna Maddox (BYU) def. Sasha Ulbrichtova (BYUH) 7-5, 6-4
6. Aubrey Paul (BYU) def. Jade Griffin (BYUH) 6-3, 6-4