AaronS | Posted: 8 Apr 2013 | Updated: 8 Nov 2020
BYU tops No. 70 Washington State at home
PROVO, Utah – The BYU women’s tennis team earned its first win over a ranked opponent this season as it topped No. 70 Washington State on Monday at the BYU indoor tennis courts.
“This is a big win and I think it will help us moving forward,” BYU coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. “We looked a little more confident today like we had more energy in our matches than we have recently. I think the attitude and overall vibe for the team was good.”
With a 3-2 lead over the Washington State Cougars, Desiree Tran secured the BYU victory at the No. 2 singles position. The junior from California found herself down 5-2 in the tiebreak of the final set but went on a 6-1 run to secure the 6-3, 3-6, 7-6(6) win for her position and for the team.
“She fought hard,” Jones-Spencer said. “She won the first set by playing well but then she kind of lost focus and was down 4-0 which was too much for her to come back in the second set. In the third set she stayed with it, fought hard and pulled out a win.”
BYU earned the first point of the match by winning at the No. 1 and 2 doubles positions. Morgan Anderson and Mackenna Maddox finished first as they defeated Andjela Kankaras and Olga Musilovich 8-5. On court 1, Meghan Sheehan-Dizon and Nicolette Tran squeaked out a 9-7 over Elizaveta Luzina and Liudmila Vasilieva.
WSU got the next point with a 6-4, 6-1 on court 1 in singles play. Nicolette Tran then regained the BYU lead with her decisive 6-3, 6-1 victory over Kankaras. Anderson, who was the next to finish, held her opponent scoreless in the first set and went on to get a win on court 3 against Luzina.
Maddox and Paul both fell short against Musilovich and Koning respectively.
BYU resumes its conference play as Gonzaga comes to Provo on Saturday April 13 at noon MDT.
1. Sheehan-Dizon/N. Tran (BYU) def. Luzina/Vasilieva (WSU) 9-7
2. Anderson/Maddox (BYU) def. Musilovich/Kankaras (WSU) 8-5
3. Leenknecht/Googe (WSU) def. Paul/D. Tran (BYU) 9-7
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3
1. Liudmila Vasilieva (WSU) def. Meghan Sheehan-Dizon (BYU) 6-4, 6-1
2. Desiree Tran (BYU) def. Ksenia Googe (WSU) 6-3, 3-6, 7-6(6)
3. Morgan Anderson (BYU) def. Elizaveta Luzina (WSU) 6-0, 3-6, 6-1
4. Nicolette Tran (BYU) def. Andjela Kankaras (WSU) 6-3, 6-1
5. Olga Musilovich (WSU) def. Mackenna Maddox (BYU) 6-0, 6-2
6. Charlotte Koning (WSU) def. Aubrey Paul (BYU) 6-1, 6-3
Order of finish: 1, 4, 3, 5, 2, 6