AaronS | Posted: 24 Apr 2013 | Updated: 8 Nov 2020
Cougars fall to LMU in round one of WCC tournament
SAN DIEGO – In the first round of the West Coast Conference Tournament, the No. 6 seed BYU women’s tennis team fell to the No. 7 seed Loyola Marymount 4-2 on Wednesday at the Barnes Tennis Center.
The Cougars finished the season with a 10-11 record.
“This year was tough, but we learned a lot that will help us come back stronger next year,” BYU coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. “Today we did a great job in doubles and started well in singles but let up. We needed to execute better.”
BYU started the match with an 8-4 victory on court 2 by Morgan Anderson and Mackenna Maddox. Aubrey Paul and teammate Desiree Tran then clinched the first point as they topped Kristine Kouyomjian and Tory Parravi 8-5 at the No. 3 doubles position.
Paul, a senior from Sandy, Utah, highlighted the BYU singles play as she quickly defeated Reka Rohonyi 6-3, 6-2, to give BYU a 2-0 lead. The win was Paul’s 15th of the 2013 season.
“Aubrey did great today and I’m happy she was able to end on a good note,” Jones-Spencer said.
LMU then took the next four matches to secure the overall victory.
With the win, the Lions advance to the second round to play the No. 3 seed Santa Clara.
1. Sheehan-Dizon/N. Tran (BYU) vs. Bisharat/Razzeto (LMU) 8-7 DNF
2. Anderson/Maddox (BYU) def. Rohonyi/Jin (LMU) 8-4
3. Paul/D. Tran (BYU) def. Parravi/Kouyomjian (LMU) 8-5
1. April Basharat (LMU) def. Meghan Sheenan-Dizon (BYU) 7-6(5), 6-4
2. Tory Parravi (LMU) def. Desiree Tran (BYU) 6-3, 2-6, 6-4
3. Nicolette Tran (BYU) vs. Claudia Razzeto (LMU) 6-4, 4-6, 5-3 DNF
4. Kristine Kouyomjian (LMU) def. Morgan Anderson (BYU) 6-4, 6-3
5. Miya Jin (LMU) def. Mackenna Maddox (BYU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Aubrey Paul (BYU) def. Reka Rohonyi (LMU) 6-3, 6-2