Kaneakua Friel came to BYU as an All-State selection from Hawai'i. As a four-time letterman, he played in 45 games with 22 starts. He tallied 491 career yards on 48 receptions. Friel caught a career-long 25-yard reception while logging a total of 101 total yards and two touchdowns against Washington State in 2012. He registered 14 games during his career with two or more receptions and helped BYU to a No. 13 national ranking in total offense in 2013. Friel garnered several accolades as a Cougar, including all-independent honors and nominations to national watch lists. See the season summary tabs below and the recognition and stats tabs for more details.
- Received minicamp invitation from the Dallas Cowboys in 2014
- Served in the South Africa Durban Mission for the LDS Church
- Eagle Scout
- Exercise science major
- Under the direction of head coach Kanani Souza, helped lead the Warriors to an 8-3 record as a senior
- A Honolulu Star-Bulletin All-State selection
- Recruited by Boise State, Oregon and Nevada