- Born 06/01/79 in Calgary, Alberta
- Parents are Clair and Rochelle Shields
- Married Paul Thayer
- Majoring in fitness & wellness management
- Provincial track champion with a personal best of 4:30 in the 1500m
- Placed sixth at Canadian Nationals in Montreal
- Twice was Athlete of the Year for Springbank Community High School in Calgary
- Track and cross country MVP all three years of high school
- Also played basketball and volleyball, leading each team to divisionals once
- Member of Canadian Junior team that competed in South Africa in March 1996
- Placed 77th at World Meet, with the fourth-best time for a Canadian
Redshirted the indoor season...placed sixth in the 1500m at the WAC Outdoor Championships with a time of 4:28.32.
WAC Indoor champion and meet record-setter in the 3,000m with a time of 9:52.04...third in the 3,000m (9:18) at the NCAA Indoor Championships...NCAA automatic qualifier in the outdoor 3000m (9:18.70) and provisional qualifier in the 5000m (16:28.82)...WAC Champion in the outdoor 1500m...finished fourth in the 3000m at the NCAA Championships...earned Academic All-America status.
Ran a provisional-qualifying 4:48.80 for a third-place finish in the indoor mile at the Illinois Invitational...won the Mountain West Conference title in the indoor 3,000m, breaking her own Air Force Academy Field House record with an NCAA provisional-qualifying time of 9:51.70 (before altitude adjustment)...began the outdoor season with an NCAA automatic-qualifying time of 9:17.71 in the 3,000m at the Stanford Invitational...ran an NCAA provisional-qualifying time of 16:17.05 in the 5,000m at the Mt. SAC Relays...took first place in the 1500m at the BYU Tri-Meet and the Utah Collegiate Championships, running a personal season-best time of 4:28.81 at the Tri-Meet...won the 3,000m (9:51.65) and took 2nd in the 1500m (4:36.80) at the Mountain West Conference Championships...finished in 11th place in the 3,000m (9:33.42) at the NCAA Championships.